Bought a DCX2496..... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Graydon is offline Graydon  United States
diyAudio Member

I hope this isn't considered threadjacking. I have a couple questions reagarding the DCX. First, when you set the delays for the drivers, do you measure the distance from one driver to the next from the front edge of the speaker, the dust cover or the voice coil (or some other reference point) to determine the relative locations of each speaker range? In my installation I have 18s in the bottom which are a few inches deep. The Vifa 5.5" mids are maybe an inch or so deep and the tweeter is a Vifa XT dual concentric, the radiating surface of which is basically at the face.

My second question is regarding the digital in. I see that the DCX has an XLR input which can double as a digital input. How do I connect the digital output of my source (a coax digital from my receiver) to the DCX? I found this from Hosa. Is this the best solution? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/296455.html

Thanks,
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:23 PM   #12
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Graydon

My second question is regarding the digital in. I see that the DCX has an XLR input which can double as a digital input. How do I connect the digital output of my source (a coax digital from my receiver) to the DCX? I found this from Hosa. Is this the best solution? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/296455.html

Thanks,
You can just make an adapter cable. Put an RCA connector on one end, and an XLR connector at the other end. Use 3-conductor wire. At the RCA end, short the ground pin to the -signal pin.

Works just fine in my system.
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preiter

You can just make an adapter cable. Put an RCA connector on one end, and an XLR connector at the other end. Use 3-conductor wire. At the RCA end, short the ground pin to the -signal pin.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I want to feed the digital output from my surround processor to my DCX so that at least the main L & R channels will be digital all the way from the CD to the crossover.
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preiter

Yes that'll work. In most music stores you can also buy an XLR-to-RCA adaptor for a few dollars. Plugs into the DCX, and your coax plugs in the adapter. Neutrik has them.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies guys. This is great.

Now, on the delay setting... I am guessing that the best way to set the delays would be to send an impulse signal to the DCX and measure the time it takes for each signal to reach the microphone. Then adjust the three ranges to suit. When I get Speaker Workshop up and running, I'll try that.
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Graydon

Now, on the delay setting... I am guessing that the best way to set the delays would be to send an impulse signal to the DCX and measure the time it takes for each signal to reach the microphone.
Or you could just plug the microphone directly into the 'C' input of the DCX and use the "Auto-Align" function built in to the unit! Read the manual for details!
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:50 PM   #17
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff mai
Or you could just plug the microphone directly into the 'C' input of the DCX and use the "Auto-Align" function built in to the unit! Read the manual for details!
Some previous posters said the auto align function in the DCX got itself confused and generated the wrong delay numbers.
Can anyone recall the solution?
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:56 PM   #18
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Bought a DCX2496.....

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98

Foxx510, where do you buy DCX2496 at $420 AUD, I am in Melb.? thanks.

Give Factory Sound in Melbourne a call. They don't carry them as stock, but only takes a few days to get them in. I got that price by asking if they could match another online store that was doing them for $440 delivered. That might be the way to go, as it is a lot cheaper than the list price, rather than than ask they do it for $420 straight up.

Adam
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:52 AM   #19
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff mai

AAAhhh, so that's it, and it's IN the manual??? Not that I need it now I have the deqx but I could never see a mic input on the back, and as for the manual.....I was probably half asleep by the time I came to it because it is so dense and impenetrable ha ha.

EDIT I really should keep this to myself, but I'm a nice bugger at the end of the day...there is one for sale over on Stereo Net classifieds for $300, I think he might even have included postage, you'll have to have a look. He does say that they are getting hard to get due to some sort of component supply problems, is that true??

And as they always say, 'Tell 'em Terry sent ya' and they'll look after you ha ha.
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:43 AM   #20
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mine was in in 3 days, so I guess there is a good supply in Aus....

And the one on Stereonet forums appears to be $400, but I might have missed something..

Hide this!Advertise here!