Emu 1212m mods? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Emu 1212m mods?

I recently bought one of these soundcards to use in my small inexpensive bedroom system. I wasnt expecting to much from a $150 sound card. But to my surprise it actually sounds very very good, its at least as good if not better then my modded Maratz cd67! So I figure if its this good stock, a few mods could make it great So has anyone modded one of these soundcards? Im only interested in the outputs, i wont be uing the ADC or inputs. Looking at the board it looks like it uses the CS4398 dac, some 4558 opamps and some generic lytic caps all over the board. So I think theres room for some improvement. What do you guys think?
thanks
Old 20th August 2007, 10:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I just bought a M-Audio Delta 1010 (not arrived yet) and Im thinking about the same. All I read about modding soundcards leads to the following suggestions: Change those crappy 4558 opamps for something serious like LM2134. Ive done this before whenever and wherever I found one and its really worth it. If there are caps in the output, try to measure DC over the caps pins and if it is below 10mV omit them by bypassing the pins with simple wire. Or get the datasheet for CS4398 and try to find out if it is possible to do like this shown for AK4393:http://www.dcx2496.fr/en/tweakanalog1.htm
Old 20th August 2007, 01:07 PM   #3
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I'm going to do this next weekend, actually.

LM4562 for the output opamps and Pana FCs for the coupling caps (4x47uF caps on the analog board). Plus FCs and FMs for all PS-critical caps, and adding of decoupling caps at the opamps (currently the decoupling is about two inches away from the chips).

I got emboldened by my runaway success with my SB Live! and Delta 66 cards. The 1212 always sounded pretty good but on hearing how much the Delta improved with the mods, I can't wait to hear the results on the 1212, whose sound I always loved.

Edit: BTW there are no caps in the output, but there are coupling caps between the DAC and the opamps. Those need to be shorted or replaced. I downloaded some 10 HTML pages, some useful, from head-fi.org search. Some pretty good stuff about the way the card is built and to be modded, and those will help in the initial stages. There are tons of missing caps on my board (pads but no caps), some are essential, some not so critical.
Old 20th August 2007, 01:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmellOfPoo
I just bought a M-Audio Delta 1010 (not arrived yet) and Im thinking about the same. All I read about modding soundcards leads to the following suggestions: Change those crappy 4558 opamps for something serious like LM2134. Ive done this before whenever and wherever I found one and its really worth it. If there are caps in the output, try to measure DC over the caps pins and if it is below 10mV omit them by bypassing the pins with simple wire. Or get the datasheet for CS4398 and try to find out if it is possible to do like this shown for AK4393:http://www.dcx2496.fr/en/tweakanalog1.htm
Interesting - I bought a Delta 410 a while back, mainly for it's board-mounted SPDIF I/O, and I've tried using it's analogue outs a couple of times but always end up going back to the SPDIF/DAC-in-the-box, despite the latter's shortcomings.
Old 20th August 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you look around the RMAA forum, you will find some mods for 1212M.
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What is the RMAA forum?
thanks
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:31 AM   #7
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Edit: BTW there are no caps in the output, but there are coupling caps between the DAC and the opamps.
I have done some mods on the EMU1212 now,LM4562 at output,shorted the caps between DAC and opamps,REMOVED the mutingtransistors,did a lot goddie!Changed some e-lyts on the cards.
The "analog"card in a separate box outside the computer,and gonna do a separate PSU with superegs for the "analog"....
BTW:I changed the e-lyts on the inputs.
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:39 AM   #8
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

there is a thread around here detailing some changes for the delta series soundcards, mainly showing cap changes and opamp changes. The original poster said the biggest difference came with replacing the psu supply caps with larger values. I did it to my delta 1010lt, and it made a big difference. Better dynamics, particularly in the bass.

I've meant to change the crystals to superclocks and the three pin regulators to superregs, but since building peter daniels nos dac, I have doubts that one could mod the soundcard enough to surpass the external dac. Its about $300 for the complete kit, and really worth it. The difference is very large.

Good luck, let us know what you hear.
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:19 AM   #9
foo is offline foo  Tibet
diyAudio Member

Default Moded my emu1010

I have changed the capacitors of 1010 card.
Oscons for those small ones and Nickicon HN 1800uf 16V for the cap before regulator. More details and more dynamic for SPDIF output. And the sound seem to be more stable. I think the quality of power still plays an important role even it goes to SPDIF output.

My suggestion is to mod following things.
1. capacitors
2. regulators ( I think LT chips are good enough )
3. crystal ( it will be a great improvement ! The question is: where do you set up the TCXO inside your vibrating PC case?)
External clock might be a better solution.
( you will need a sync card $79~99)
For me, I would rather upgrade 1212M to Lynx AES16

4. The pulse transformer PE65612 will be much better
or maybe Lundhal or SC979-01.

5.directly solder a good BNC socket onto the output pins.

6.According to others, EMU did a poor job on their
decoupling caps.
Find them out and do a correct job will cost a lot of work...
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:24 AM   #10
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention,have some j-fets Im gonna bias opams into class A.

Hide this!Advertise here!