Emu 1212m mods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i managed to tap the i2s signal from the emu1212, this is for my buffalo dac since it can accept i2s signal.
this is what i did:
on the analog card where the dac chip reside, it's a cs4398 chip, by looking at the data sheet and using a multimeter , this is how i derive the i2s signal
ribbon cable socket(pin5) to dac (pin 3) SDIN (serial data in)
ribbon cable socket(pin 8) to dac (pin 5) LRCK (word clock)
ribbon cable socket(pin 13) to dac (pin 8) DGRND (DIGITAL GROUND)
ribbon cable socket(pin 10) to dac (pin 4) SLCK (serial bit clock BLCK)
ribbon cable socket(pin 9) to dac ( pin 6) MCK (master clock) (no need for buffalo dac)

the ribbon cable on the emu1212 is similar to the one on the floopy disk, so i just took one from an old pc, cut it at one end and soldered it onto some shield audio cables. according to the manual of the buffalo this is how u connect the i2s signal

from sound card to buffalo
cable 5 to D2 on buffalo
cable 8 to d1 on buffalo
cable 10 to dck on buffalo
cable 13 to g on buffalo

i used foobar kernal streaming playing flac,
for emu patchmix software setting , i use
wave 1/2 to out 1/2 i/o card ,44.1khz

if someone know a better way please let me know, i am still not very familiar with patchmix

the sound quality does sound better then spdif, just like other said it has better air and space between instrument.

i still have some problems with this setup, when i try run 96khz, all i get is pop and click, it seem like the

buffalo does not like it.

i measured the voltage reading of the :data, word clock, bit clock, all giving me a reading of about 3v AC, and

about 1.5 v DC, what does the 1.5 dc reading mean? is it good to run dc signal into the buffalo dac?

other info i found out:

audio data come out from a chip lcx244, this is a buffer chip.

there's a receiver chip called ak4112, this is a receiver chip, looking up the data sheet it seem like it can run in

slave mode, so may be there's a possibility of running the emu1212 digital card in slave mode with the dac on master

mode?

now that the analog card 0202 is not being used, it's possible to made a dac out of it by using a receiver, psu

,etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.