TDA1541 CD Player for Non-Oversampling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I am searching for a TDA541A based CD player to convert to non-oversampling.

I have shortlisted;

Cambridge Audio CD3
Marantz CD80
Marantz CD-94 mk2

All of the above use the dreaded SAA7220 digital filter which is reportedly very noise. There is a company in the UK called Net Audio who make a NOS converter board for the SAA7220.
The questions I have are 1; is the Net Audio NOS converter the best way forward for non-oversampling or do better methods exist.

2; the CD3 uses 16x oversampling and I believe has a dedicated board to take care of this. Can the SAA7220 be replaced with the NOS converter in the CD3 with the 16 x Fs board?

Thanks
lovekylie
:D

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

I did search the forum before posting be found nothing specific to answering the question relating to the SAA7220 in the CD3.

If anybody would like to remark on replacing the SAA7220 with an NOS converter board when used for 16x oversampling it is appreciated.

lovekylie

lovekylie said:
Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

I did search the forum before posting be found nothing specific to answering the question relating to the SAA7220 in the CD3.

If anybody would like to remark on replacing the SAA7220 with an NOS converter board when used for 16x oversampling it is appreciated.

lovekylie
AFAIK the CD3 does not have a SAA7220.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jacco,
Thank you. I was not familiar with the brand, just the chip set.

The digital filter is not the big evil. It's the audio stages following the DAC stage (assuming the DAC is good). I do not like the sound of MASH or single bit. Personal taste. For me, the PCM1702 is a happy thing. My player uses two per channel.

-Chris

Has nice caps too.

Attachments

• siderailed.jpg
    siderailed.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 582
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.