LCD readout - broken ? or bad joints - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2007, 09:28 PM   #1
3Dgeek is offline 3Dgeek  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 3Dgeek
Default LCD readout - broken ? or bad joints

Have a problem with the LCD display on my CDP, i'm wondering if its dead pixels or maybe dry-broken joints.

This thing has just been delivered to me and i suspect its transport damage, but any ideas what its gonna take to fix ?

Thanks -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krell-lcd.jpg (33.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 11th May 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: LCD readout - broken ? or bad joints

It could be either. Are you able to remove the LED display for testing?
At least they look as if they are a standard size. Changing both displays could well be an option if you want to change the colour or just to make doubly sure that they match perfectly.

What's the situation? Did it come to you for repair or have you purchased it? Would you get a decent discount if you repair it yourself?

Test the segments yourself just to eliminate an outside chance that the microprocessor is playing up. Chances are though, IMO, that it's worth a punt.
Very worst case scenario: live with the dodgy but readable display but add a switch to turn it off. Lots of players have this facility anyway!
Old 12th May 2007, 07:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've had a look inside the machine and it looks easy to access the LCD, i'm just a bit reluctant to start the job...

Yeah the display can be turned off, i'd rather get i fixed though.. i'm gonna wait until i can get hold of a ground strap, a bit worried about risk of damage.

I just bought the player but not from a dealer, the price i payed i guess i could live with the fault, but i am gonna have a crack at this !

thanks.
Old 12th May 2007, 02:21 PM   #4
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Often the 7 segment LED displays are in sockets, try swapping them and see if the fault follows the display.
Unusual for LEDs to fail like that in a properly designed circuit.
Unlikely to be transport damage, if it is it will be a ribbon cable half pulled out or something. LEDs are tough.
The display MIGHT be LCD with a red backlight, LCD are a little delicate and very sensitive to static. The glass contacts are hard to clean, we used to use some special green plasticine like stuff to clean the zebra crossings. It was hard stuff to find too, I have no idea where to get it or what it is.
Old 12th May 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
Often the 7 segment LED displays are in sockets, try swapping them and see if the fault follows the display.
Good idea, thanks !

I've seen some pretty bad transport damage on an lcd tv, just assumed the same had happened here, ok, i'm gonna take a look now.

Reuben
Old 12th May 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok the CDP is still working, but the display is not..

It looks like they are LCD's soldered in with 12 (i think) pins, we re-soldered a load of joints including what looked like 2 controller chips, no luck.

also did a search on the model no's for the LCD's and control chips, nothing...

Decided to leave this for another day when my brother has more time to help cause it really is a 2 man job, such a huge beast

btw, i thought i'd capture the Krell while she was naked -

http://www.affinity3d.com/gallery2/m...?g2_itemId=273
Old 12th May 2007, 11:28 PM   #7
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

They are LED, not LCD.
Light Emitting Diode.
Liquid Crystal Display.

Each module should have a part number on it.
Maybe send krell email.
LED displays are cheap and normally very reliable.

By the looks of the interior, I imagine all boards will be through hole, so I doubt it will be dry joints.

Try and find the part number and replace them.
Old 29th August 2008, 06:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Been a long time...

I finally got around to looking at this again, swapped the 2 LED modules over to test and is the LED at fault, contacted the krell distributer here, they are contacting krell for price and availability, still waiting for reply.

I do not expect that this will be quick, easy or cheap, if the story's i've heard about krell voltage conversions are true...

I did try googling the part number, but only suppliers that come up are those with the $300 minimum order rule

Anyway, the part number is HY-214 94V0 if anyone has any ideas where i could get these led's please let me know.

thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 12:08 AM   #9
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

From what I can find, it looks like it may be an older 4 digit 7 segment LED display from General Radio (now defunct). How many pins does the display have? Posting photos of the LED display board out of the case may help, as will posting the name of the controller chip the display is connected to.
Old 30th August 2008, 12:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think it has 12 pins, i've not got any photo's as yet but it does look like an old style unit, the led is mounted on a small pcb.

i found a picture which looks much like the unit-

Next time i take the machine apart i'll get some more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led_displays.jpg (2.9 KB, 189 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!