CSS Quartet12XC Subwoofer Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 4th September 2013, 01:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CSS Quartet12XC Subwoofer Build

I thought I would post my sub woofer build since Bob was gracious enough to donate the driver to the InDIYana event as a door price. I won the Black Box speaker competition so I got first choice at the door prize table. Since Jeff B. took the driver up front at the event and gave it his approval I jumped all over it.
Not only did I get the driver Jeff also worked up the alignment for me. I've been wanting to build an end table sub for my living room and figured this would be a great candidate since it was designed to be an 18" cube.

I figured I'd share the design if anyone else was interested in building it. You don't have to build a crazy looking design like I did. It can be done as an 18" cube. My goal was to build the box to not weigh more then the driver and amp so I tried out a cable system I'd been thinking about for a while to brace the cabinet. Here are my build pics if you want to check it out. The pics have some detail on the design with them. I'll just post the basics here. https://picasaweb.google.com/1016322...X12SubEndTable
Here is also a build thread on it. CSS Quartet12XC Subwoofer Build

Anyway here is the alignment. It features one SDX12 driver, Two APR's from CSS and in this set up the Dayton SPA500 plat am. Jeff has this design using a couple different amps.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some final pics

I thought I new what good base sounded like but after building this sub I now know for sure what it sounds like. While listening to music this sub just makes the bass guitar feel like its right in the room with you and with movies it will make you feel just like your there. The look on my wives face was priceless when the first action scene started in the move Transformers. Wish I had a pic to post of that.

Thanks again Bob for such a great driver. Also thanks again Jeff for an awesome design.

Dave
Old 4th September 2013, 02:40 AM   #2
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice build
For those wanting to see the construction there is a lot more on the PE forum. Nice of Bob to give the kit away on the PE forum
Old 6th September 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That is some insane construction Dave. Nice work.
Old 7th September 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Love it! Gorgeous piece of furniture and add metal grill for high KCRF (Kitty Claw Resistance Factor)
Old 9th September 2013, 10:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the complements,

I do plan on some grills to fit over the driver and PR's I just haven't got around to it yet.

Dave
Old 9th September 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

How far in front does the weight stick out?

I love the idea of a PR that's tuneable without taking it out or mounting it inside out. But keep in mind that grills need to clear the center mass!

Hide this!Advertise here!