Looking for LD25x impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 29th October 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for LD25x impressions

As the title states, I'm looking for impressions on the LD25X tweeter. If anyone has heard the unit with and without the oversized wave guide, that would be great. Any other impressions would be great as well.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check the Parts Express Techtalk forum. A couple of well received builds. Curt Campbell has a design as well as Jeff Bagby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
As the title states, I'm looking for impressions on the LD25X tweeter. If anyone has heard the unit with and without the oversized wave guide, that would be great. Any other impressions would be great as well.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've used it in a waveguide. I should say using it. The speakers are with Dave (Planet10) right now as he gives them a listen. Some changes are likely in order, but I think it's a very nice tweeter. Can cross really low with that waveguide. The thing is though, you have to cross low with that waveguide due to the size of the waveguide. Personally, it's the nicest sounding dome/waveguide I've listened to.

As for flush mounted, I never bothered to try. My personal opinion is that waveguides are the only way to go. I'd only bother with flush mounting if building a desktop 2-way and getting the drivers very close together was required. In this case, the LD25x would be quite good. I do think there are some other tweets that can take a bigger beating though that are similar. SB29 neo comes to mind. All this is based only on my measurements without listening to it flush.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:30 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
The speakers are with Dave (Planet10) right now as he gives them a listen. Some changes are likely in order, but I think it's a very nice tweeter.
One of the 1st changes is forme to get all the proper bits together for the XO Ryan designed so that we can determine how much the (over 10) alligator clips affected the performance -- could be a bit, i've not even had time to take pictures. But even with the XO spread out all over the floor the combo of the waveguided tweeter & the SDX7. The waveguide pushes the XO below the super critical range and allows for a very simple HP. It means you don't use the midbass where it is weakest. The tweeter ends up havig a closer dispersion characteristic to the midbass at the XO. It means that the spectrum is more evenly divided between the 2 drivers. It looks cool.

dave
Old 30th October 2012, 11:32 PM   #5
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

In my case, the tweeter will be used with a Revelator 18w which is pretty good upto around 4k IMHO. Is the ability to play low this tweeters best attribute?
Old 30th October 2012, 11:34 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
Is the ability to play low this tweeters best attribute?
No.

dave
Old 31st October 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'm using it in this design:
all CSS heavyweight compact 3way
had nothing but positive remarks from listeners, ranking it among the best dome tweeters around.
Old 31st October 2012, 04:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If using with a 7" up to 3 or 4k be prepaid for an unnatural dispersion pattern change right there unless using the waveguide. But then if using the WG you'll want to cross low because of CTC spacing.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:50 PM   #9
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
No.

dave
Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 10:53 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The LDX has many other attributes besides the waveguide that make it special. In nonWaveguide guise, a very small footprint, 3mm xMax, and low measured distortion (the latter for those that think that actually means anything)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!