diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   CSS (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/)
-   -   Looking for LD25x impressions (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/222438-looking-ld25x-impressions.html)

FozzZ 29th October 2012 02:23 AM

Looking for LD25x impressions

As the title states, I'm looking for impressions on the LD25X tweeter. If anyone has heard the unit with and without the oversized wave guide, that would be great. Any other impressions would be great as well.

fastbike1 30th October 2012 01:22 PM

Check the Parts Express Techtalk forum. A couple of well received builds. Curt Campbell has a design as well as Jeff Bagby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FozzZ (Post 3219134)
As the title states, I'm looking for impressions on the LD25X tweeter. If anyone has heard the unit with and without the oversized wave guide, that would be great. Any other impressions would be great as well.

tuxedocivic 30th October 2012 08:04 PM

I've used it in a waveguide. I should say using it. The speakers are with Dave (Planet10) right now as he gives them a listen. Some changes are likely in order, but I think it's a very nice tweeter. Can cross really low with that waveguide. The thing is though, you have to cross low with that waveguide due to the size of the waveguide. Personally, it's the nicest sounding dome/waveguide I've listened to.

As for flush mounted, I never bothered to try. My personal opinion is that waveguides are the only way to go. I'd only bother with flush mounting if building a desktop 2-way and getting the drivers very close together was required. In this case, the LD25x would be quite good. I do think there are some other tweets that can take a bigger beating though that are similar. SB29 neo comes to mind. All this is based only on my measurements without listening to it flush.

planet10 30th October 2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxedocivic (Post 3221544)
The speakers are with Dave (Planet10) right now as he gives them a listen. Some changes are likely in order, but I think it's a very nice tweeter.

One of the 1st changes is forme to get all the proper bits together for the XO Ryan designed so that we can determine how much the (over 10) alligator clips affected the performance -- could be a bit, i've not even had time to take pictures. But even with the XO spread out all over the floor the combo of the waveguided tweeter & the SDX7. The waveguide pushes the XO below the super critical range and allows for a very simple HP. It means you don't use the midbass where it is weakest. The tweeter ends up havig a closer dispersion characteristic to the midbass at the XO. It means that the spectrum is more evenly divided between the 2 drivers. It looks cool.

dave

FozzZ 30th October 2012 11:32 PM

In my case, the tweeter will be used with a Revelator 18w which is pretty good upto around 4k IMHO. Is the ability to play low this tweeters best attribute?

planet10 30th October 2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FozzZ (Post 3221826)
Is the ability to play low this tweeters best attribute?

No.

dave

Henkjan 31st October 2012 01:18 PM

I'm using it in this design:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...pact-3way.html
had nothing but positive remarks from listeners, ranking it among the best dome tweeters around.

tuxedocivic 31st October 2012 04:51 PM

If using with a 7" up to 3 or 4k be prepaid for an unnatural dispersion pattern change right there unless using the waveguide. But then if using the WG you'll want to cross low because of CTC spacing.

CSS/XBL 31st October 2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 3221830)
No.

dave

Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks

planet10 31st October 2012 10:53 PM

The LDX has many other attributes besides the waveguide that make it special. In nonWaveguide guise, a very small footprint, 3mm xMax, and low measured distortion (the latter for those that think that actually means anything)

dave