apr 15 pasive - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default apr 15 pasive

hi to everybody ! I have bought the apr 15 and I would like to tune it to 17 hz.. Is any bodybody can tell me how much washers it takes please .
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 01:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Texas, USA
That will depend on the box volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by output guy View Post
hi to everybody ! I have bought the apr 15 and I would like to tune it to 17 hz.. Is any bodybody can tell me how much washers it takes please .
__________________
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 06:18 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
Probably not a good idea to tune a PR to 17Hz. Even if the box volume permits it.

You want to run a simulator program (as if it was a ported box) given the volume of the box AND the T/S parameters of the speaker, see where the F3 point comes out in Hz. Set the response for a "butterworth". You can tune the PR to that frequency, and certainly less than a 1/2 octave below that and get a useful response... At 1/2 octave below that there will likely be a large dip between the PR output and the driver...

The other consideration is that the mass that has to be added, which will be considerable, may be excessive and cause the suspension to be distorted or come apart... also a vertical mounting is required.

So, assuming you get 40Hz. you could tune the passive to maybe 32Hz. and have a nice sounding speaker. Remember the tuning point is the *center point* and the PR works somewhat above and below that frequency.

PS. I don't know a thing about this CSS company or their products
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- [...2SJ74 Toshiba bogus asian parts - beware! ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 03:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Texas, USA
That really depends on the driver and the PR. The CSS APR15 has an Fs of 19 and can be tuned to 17 in a ~110 liter box w/o excessive mass. AE 15" PRs have Fs of 6 and can also be tuned very low if desired.

In combination w/ a Vifa NE315W, for instance, the CSS APR15 works wonderfully tuned to 24Hz in 57 liters. Around 630 grams mass needed.
1200 is the limit for the APR15.

Inherent in the nature of the PR is a dip at the resonant frequency, not somewhere else.

Your advice is . . . ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Probably not a good idea to tune a PR to 17Hz. Even if the box volume permits it.

You want to run a simulator program (as if it was a ported box) given the volume of the box AND the T/S parameters of the speaker, see where the F3 point comes out in Hz. Set the response for a "butterworth". You can tune the PR to that frequency, and certainly less than a 1/2 octave below that and get a useful response... At 1/2 octave below that there will likely be a large dip between the PR output and the driver...

The other consideration is that the mass that has to be added, which will be considerable, may be excessive and cause the suspension to be distorted or come apart... also a vertical mounting is required.

So, assuming you get 40Hz. you could tune the passive to maybe 32Hz. and have a nice sounding speaker. Remember the tuning point is the *center point* and the PR works somewhat above and below that frequency.

PS. I don't know a thing about this CSS company or their products
__________________
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default apr 15 pasive

Thank you ! Output guy
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 01:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Texas, USA
If you can tell me what sub drvire you are using and how big the box is, I can give you a rough idea of the weight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by output guy View Post
Thank you ! Output guy
__________________
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 05:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
hi guys ! thank you for your help .My sub is a 12 in. shiva from Adire audio in a box of 5 ft3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 05:03 AM   #8
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
Wha? Fs of 6Hz???

What is that for??
How is it used?

The "dip" is not in the PR output, but in the motion of the main driver. The PR output is MAX at the resonant frequency.

One gets a dip in freq response between the driver and the PR when the PR is tuned sufficiently below the F3 point of the driver + box.

I am unaware of an standard production woofer that can tune to 6Hz. or match/hand off to a PR at 6 Hz. Certainly not in a box volume that is practical...

...the lowest one can get a woofer to operate at is in an IB where Fs = F3 but then you can't use a PR.

Maybe there is something going on I haven't heard of, if so I'd like to know what it is.

_-_-bear

PS. if the stock PR has an Fs of 19Hz. it may not make any difference or have any benefit to move it to 17Hz. Probably not audible.
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- [...2SJ74 Toshiba bogus asian parts - beware! ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 03:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Texas, USA
You need 13 washers (585gm) voice coils in parallel. However, that's a terrible alignment for the Shiva. You get much better response (F3/F10: 24.2 / 19.4) by tuning to 21.4Hz: 7 washers / 315 gms.


Quote:
Originally Posted by output guy View Post
hi guys ! thank you for your help .My sub is a 12 in. shiva from Adire audio in a box of 5 ft3.
__________________
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 06:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thank you guys !
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOLUME CONTROL PASIVE ! Radu1984 Analog Line Level 7 25th September 2011 09:11 AM
Biamp with high-mid pasive filter. ubaid88 Chip Amps 1 19th April 2009 05:31 PM
DIY meeting in Göteborg Sweden 22 Apr 2006 peranders Everything Else 2 24th April 2006 08:24 AM
pasive crossover help lolojr1 Parts 5 17th January 2005 09:38 AM
Pasive rad + weight peterpan Multi-Way 1 7th December 2003 05:34 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2