• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL166 MTM ML-TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's probably really a question for Mark Fenlon, but the last time this was discussed, I think his reply was he'd be concentrating RD and production capacity on his own branded drivers.

The EL166 was a stupidly good bang for the buck - I'd buy 50 of them if still available - but to be honest, there are lots of candidates for decent 6-8" mid-woofers in the under $60 ea price range. IINM, the smallest woofer that Bob has listed is the SDX10 - rather a beast of a unit - you certainly get what you pay for with this one.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, guys. I might contact you about a couple of those el166's if you don't mind. I'm still looking a drivers for my intended design, so if I decide to go with those I'll let you know.

Planet10: Question about the 1st order series XO a couple post back. I tried playing around with 1st order series in PCD with a couple different drivers in a fast crossed around 400Hz, but I can't get the phase anywhere close. Did you end up with good phase in your design or do you maybe not worry about it XO that low?

Pole? Do you mean a cap? With second order parallel I can get the phase fine and okay with second order series. I just started trying to model series crossovers; very weird.

I just wanted to try the 1st order series for less/cheaper parts. I can get the response pretty decent just not phase, much better than the 1st parallel (FR not phase).

Keep a careful eye on impedance and your transfer functions when doing series.
Yes by adding a pole I meant a cap. Make it second order.

The impedance is hovering above 6 ohms and the transfer function shows an impedance spike, but it doesn't show in the driver response.

The phase is very odd for the full range driver below the crossover frequency. Wavy or loopy

This is just playing around, but why does the full range (Red) and it's phase look so weird below the crossover. Is that right?

Attachments

• Rs100-08 transfer function.gif
    Rs100-08 transfer function.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 223
That's because of the impedance peaks in the full ranger I'm assuming.

If you get a peak in the woofer response due to the cap, you need to make the cap smaller. Try something like 5mH and 50uF on the woofer. And 30uF and 3mH on the full range with reverse polarity.

Is that image a series cross over? It looks like it. My above suggestion is for parallel, but about those values should work for series also.

Yes, that is 1st order series.

I don't get those peaks with parallel, only series. I have no problem getting a nice response, phase and driver rolloff with parallel 2nd, I just wanted to see what could be accomplished with 1st order series. Maybe these drivers aren't so good for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.