• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL166 MTM ML-TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EL166 MLTL FAST

Hi,

Here are initial pics of the EL166MLTL FAST that I am working on. Dave has kindly provided the design, and trust that Scott Lindgren reworked the TL height for this project. Thanks Dave and Scott.

I was supposed to finish this project quite some time back, but a few things like work, A12 Studio Reference Monitors, and Hypex UcD180HG got in the way... :)

As you see, still haven't been able to get the drivers in. The other cab needs a bit of work on the FR mounting hole. Oh the cabs also need holes for the ports and terminal cups...and braces for the push-push woofers...!:eek:

Look forward to trying these out next weekend. :)

-Zia

Attachments

• EL166MLTL FAST 02.jpg
    EL166MLTL FAST 02.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 541
  • EL166MLTL FAST 01.jpg
    EL166MLTL FAST 01.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 529
I'm finalizing my plans now for the single woofer version of the EL166 ML-TL FAST design. I'm going to make large bookshelf-sized speakers out of these by incorporating a single fold and changing the cross section so it is wider and less deep (while maintaining the same area).

I haven't noticed any comments about stuffing for this design. Does anyone know if this is a speaker that should be stuffed?

Also, with a single fold, the port will naturally be facing rearward unless I add another 90 degree fold near the terminus. There are several TL's that use rear facing ports, does anyone have a guess if it matters with this design which way the port faces? Will I loose some of the bottom end if it faces to the rear? Or make it more sensitive to placement?

Thanks for your help, Dave.

I've been reading about baffle step diffraction over the past several days (when I have time). And the more I learn, the more I am starting to get cold feet about the single woofer design with this pairing due to their matching sensitivity. If I put them in a ~ 12" wide cabinet, the baffle step will be at 380Hz. The EL166 has +5 dB compensation down to 300Hz so not much of an issue until then. BUT from about 300Hz and lower, won't the response be -6dB lower until it rolls off?

For this particular project, I cannot add the 2nd woofer because the increase in required cabinet size. It also seems like blasphemy to put BSC on the FF85wk. So I find myself wondering if I should consider an alternative woofer for this project with higher sensitivity to offset the baffle step loss. Can anyone who has listened to these (Dave), please comment on how noticeable is the baffle step loss? and also if the pure extension helps to offset the dB loss.

Thanks,
Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The MTM was carefully balanced wrt levels. you'll lose 3 dB of efficiency. And then consideration of what your amp does when you change impedance.

You may need to pad the mid-tweeter a bit. Depending on placement you may find it works fine. The wk is about a dB less then the k it replaced.

the baffle step will be at 380Hz

You may find a little lower works. I usually calculate the BS fs and then work the crossover between that and 0,707 * BS(f3).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We did get our version of the project Zia is working done.

MK70wT-fir-wWoofT-comp.jpg

Unlike the longer line in the MTM we did not nail the stuffing on these short ones 1st time out. I also have more XO work to do, currently running then REL style with no HP on the Mar-Kel. Things were better with the 2nd order active at 100 Hz despite the bit of veil the XO was adding. Need to whip up some PLLXOs (and get the pre fixed)

dave

PS: Chris is finishing the Mar-Ken12.2pT to match these WoofTs. The drivers come off the break-in bench tommorrow night so we should have that working Sat (Chris will likely get 1st crack at them).

EL166 IMpedance

Earth to Planet 10: I notice you use the EL166 in several of your speakers.

I'm going to have a go at knocking up a Zobel to flatten the EL166's rising impedance at higher frequencies (up to 4kHz). Did you ever manage to measure the impedance up to about 4kHZ when designing your speakers?

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Over and out...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.