EL166 MTM ML-TL - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 24th March 2012, 03:16 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Pics Zia?

KM
Old 24th March 2012, 04:51 PM   #72
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
Pics Zia?

KM
Hopefully on 26th!
Old 25th March 2012, 04:36 PM   #73
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan
Quote:
I don't see the EL166 on the CSS site any more. Has the well run dry?
Planet10 wrote in reply
Quote:
More or less... I got all the white ones (+ a pair of black), and Toppsy got all the rest.....................Talk is that interest has grown sufficient as it neared running out that Mark is working towards another batch... fingers crossed, it is one hell of a mid-woofer even discounting the cheap price.
I have to agree with Daves comments regards the performance of these midwoofer drivers. I don't think that Mark fenlon realised what a great driver he has designed here.

I designed a pair of speakers (Edingdales) using 4 x Woofer#6 (EL166) in a line array type arrangement coupled with a ribbon tweeter. The woofers are wired series/parrallel to maintain a nominal 8-ohm load and so are a in essence a simple 2-way speakers Xing over to the ribbon at 3.5kHz. The idea being to make them an easy load with sufficient efficiency to marry to a pair of 300b Monobloc amps.

These have proved to be a real winner such that I started a search for as many the remaining available stock left that I could buy up. These speakers have been pitted against a 3000 pair of commercial Yamaha speakers and a a pair of 7000 Living Voice speakers. Both owners of the commercial speakers have placed orders for me to build them some Edingdales to replace their (previous) cherrished commercial speakers. The MA mid woofers are that good with a midrange that rivals my Quad63 electrostatic speakers.

There is a thread over on Mark Audio pages but they look like this:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th March 2012, 05:06 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Hi Toppsy,

I saw your thread, great looking speakers! You crossed the ribbon at 3.5k, is there a consensus on what the upper usable frequency of the el166 is?
Old 25th March 2012, 05:38 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

KyleinCowichan,
I don't think there is consensus of opinion on this. I crossed over to my Ribbons at 3.5kHz as that was the lowest usable frequency of the ribbons which are 98dB efficiency and at that point on the woofer FR plots there is still no apparent sign of cone break up. Looking at the woofer FR plot I wouldn't want to XO any higher than 4kHz.
Old 26th March 2012, 02:35 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
I have to agree with Daves comments regards the performance of these midwoofer drivers. I don't think that Mark fenlon realised what a great driver he has designed here.
Hmmm...looks like others also realized this at the fag end of the driver's run in retail.

Colin, any luck with BPA? They had some white cones for their kits if I remember correctly.

Where other Mark Fenlon drivers like the Alpairs stand out in their appearance, the MA Woof #6 aka EL166 is pretty unassuming. Seriously need to get my ones in a cab.

Coiln, do you break in the Woof #6s or it's heavy duty from the start?

-Zia
Old 26th March 2012, 07:31 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Hi Zia,

BPA have only stock to sell with their speaker kits. They won't sell the drivers on there own. Or that was my experience last I tried to just buy drivers.

I don't break in the W#6 (EL166) drivers, they sound good from the off. Unlike the Alpairs these midwoofer cones are quite robust so just install them in your finished cabs and play music. The midrange richness will get better after around 50 hours use. I also suspect the break in of the XO components helps here also. Using the 4-drivers wired series/parrallel, each driver is doing a quarter the work of a single unit but combined give you the area of a 12" woofer! This has the effect of reducing the distortion by a good factor of 4 which manifests into the wonderful rich and detailed midrange. Also even played loud the cones hardly move but produce real deep and detailed bass.
Old 27th March 2012, 03:03 PM   #78
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post

Where other Mark Fenlon drivers like the Alpairs stand out in their appearance, the MA Woof #6 aka EL166 is pretty unassuming. Seriously need to get my ones in a cab.

-Zia

indeed the most smirkingly satisfying aspect of implementing with these -
Old 28th March 2012, 09:55 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Hopefully on 26th!
You got two days grave... PICS PLEASE!
Old 29th March 2012, 12:31 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

Sorry Ryan and Kyle, couldn't touch the project over the past few days. I have rescheduled for 30th.

Hide this!Advertise here!