• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL166 MTM ML-TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting. Wonder how EL166 tonal charactristics would be over the first 1k. FR chart shows pretty flat even higher.
IMO, even if the EL166 was workable in the 800-2400 range, it wouldn't have the "magic" of the 3" Fostex

BTW, the unit in the picture, that has the Fostex FF85 IIRC. New FF85WK can be XOed lower even, or similar?

-Zia
yup to the first - as to the second, based on listening to 3 of the new WK's (only full range so far), I'd say possibly a few Hz. Not the least of the advantages of the new series is smaller minimum enclosure volume for same LF performance (for example, I've got a pair of boxes underway for the 125WK that come in at 9 liters, vs approx 13 for the same style enclosure for FE127E)

The XO point is determined by the box width. If you XOed to a tweeter ou might have to compensate for bafflestep.

dave

I am going to move forward with the single woofer version. This is my first build and I am very excited.

I am going to change the cross-section so that inside dimensions are about 11.5" x 5.2" and use a single fold to make a large bookshelf out of these. Should I need any bafflestep correction with a 12" wide by 18" tall baffle and a 1st order XO between 300-400Hz?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't see the EL166 on the CSS site any more. Has the well run dry?

More or less... I got all the white ones (+ a pair of black), and Toppsy got all the rest.

I have a few spare to my needs, i'd like to sell them treated but might let some out stock.

Talk is that interest has grown sufficient as it neared running out that Mark is working towards another batch... fingers crossed, it is one hell of a mid-woofer even discounting the cheap price.

dave

Ah, okay. I had been eyeing it with some future plans in mind. I was really impressed with the ML-TL I heard last summer. I have been obsessed with the idea of building some round tractrix horns for a pair of inexpensive compression drivers and it might have made a suitable lower end. Utterly pie-in-the-sky though. Unclear on WAF, utterly beyond my current skill set (horn design), too large for any room in my house. In other words: perfect! ;-)

KM

The kits w/ ERT26 tweeter stil show for sale.

More or less... I got all the white ones (+ a pair of black), and Toppsy got all the rest.

I have a few spare to my needs, i'd like to sell them treated but might let some out stock.

Talk is that interest has grown sufficient as it neared running out that Mark is working towards another batch... fingers crossed, it is one hell of a mid-woofer even discounting the cheap price.

dave

Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan
I don't see the EL166 on the CSS site any more. Has the well run dry?

Planet10 wrote in reply
More or less... I got all the white ones (+ a pair of black), and Toppsy got all the rest.....................Talk is that interest has grown sufficient as it neared running out that Mark is working towards another batch... fingers crossed, it is one hell of a mid-woofer even discounting the cheap price.

I have to agree with Daves comments regards the performance of these midwoofer drivers. I don't think that Mark fenlon realised what a great driver he has designed here.

I designed a pair of speakers (Edingdales) using 4 x Woofer#6 (EL166) in a line array type arrangement coupled with a ribbon tweeter. The woofers are wired series/parrallel to maintain a nominal 8-ohm load and so are a in essence a simple 2-way speakers Xing over to the ribbon at 3.5kHz. The idea being to make them an easy load with sufficient efficiency to marry to a pair of 300b Monobloc amps.

These have proved to be a real winner such that I started a search for as many the remaining available stock left that I could buy up. These speakers have been pitted against a £3000 pair of commercial Yamaha speakers and a a pair of £7000 Living Voice speakers. Both owners of the commercial speakers have placed orders for me to build them some Edingdales to replace their (previous) cherrished commercial speakers. The MA mid woofers are that good with a midrange that rivals my Quad63 electrostatic speakers.

There is a thread over on Mark Audio pages but they look like this:

IMG_2756a.jpg

KyleinCowichan,
I don't think there is consensus of opinion on this. I crossed over to my Ribbons at 3.5kHz as that was the lowest usable frequency of the ribbons which are 98dB efficiency and at that point on the woofer FR plots there is still no apparent sign of cone break up. Looking at the woofer FR plot I wouldn't want to XO any higher than 4kHz.

I have to agree with Daves comments regards the performance of these midwoofer drivers. I don't think that Mark fenlon realised what a great driver he has designed here.

Hmmm...looks like others also realized this at the fag end of the driver's run in retail. :)

Colin, any luck with BPA? They had some white cones for their kits if I remember correctly.

Where other Mark Fenlon drivers like the Alpairs stand out in their appearance, the MA Woof #6 aka EL166 is pretty unassuming. Seriously need to get my ones in a cab.

Coiln, do you break in the Woof #6s or it's heavy duty from the start?

-Zia

Hi Zia,

BPA have only stock to sell with their speaker kits. They won't sell the drivers on there own. Or that was my experience last I tried to just buy drivers.

I don't break in the W#6 (EL166) drivers, they sound good from the off. Unlike the Alpairs these midwoofer cones are quite robust so just install them in your finished cabs and play music. The midrange richness will get better after around 50 hours use. I also suspect the break in of the XO components helps here also. Using the 4-drivers wired series/parrallel, each driver is doing a quarter the work of a single unit but combined give you the area of a 12" woofer! This has the effect of reducing the distortion by a good factor of 4 which manifests into the wonderful rich and detailed midrange. Also even played loud the cones hardly move but produce real deep and detailed bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.