EL166 MTM ML-TL - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 29th May 2011, 07:12 PM   #11
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Mr. italynstylion - how would compare these to your coniston^2s?
Old 31st May 2011, 08:50 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The cabs with the el166 and ert tweeters is more detailed and has better dispersion. One thing I will say is that the coniston^2 has a very nice stage presence. The side firing driver really brings life to the room. Bass response is good on both but more controlled on the el166 drivers really just because of the cone area advantage
Old 31st May 2011, 11:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks - kind of what you'd guess I suppose. I like the side firing idea and the ambience it would provide even though it may make some purists cringe which I also find enjoyable.
Old 1st June 2011, 04:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ehhh, to be honest I think it might be closer to "real" than a normal speaker. Live music, being sang or made with instruments, doesn't project in only one direction. So saying a speaker that projects in multiple directions is wrong by design doesn't seem to be 100% accurate in my book. I think that a lot of these different designs all have something unique about them that's beneficial and that's what makes them special.
Old 1st June 2011, 03:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I agree with that. I should have more correctly said those who consider themselves to be purists. I worked with a few of them at a high-end retailer in Houston back in the 70's. Their nostrils would flare at any attempt to add ambience. Of course they hated Bose but so did I ,not because of the concept but because they were junk and I had to fix (or totally rebuild) them.
Old 6th June 2011, 03:25 PM   #16
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
I'll have to look for it and also ask the person who designed it if it's ok to be posted. Remind me with a PM if I forget.
Steve,

This system is bi-amped?

Regards,
Zia
Old 14th June 2011, 04:50 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Steve,

This system is bi-amped?

Regards,
Zia
Nope, single pair of binding posts with a final impedance of 8ohms if I recall correctly. I don't have this set in my home anymore (gave them to a friend) so I can't pull the crossovers and look at them. My friend who did the design for the crossover has been very busy lately with work but I'm trying to catch him when he's got a free moment.
Old 14th June 2011, 06:05 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thank you Steve and look forward to hearing from you. Hope your friend can catch a breather soon .

-Zia
Old 24th June 2011, 12:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Is there any particular reason the mid-tweet is between the woofs? Thinking about moving the top woofer down and the mid-tweet above it and mounting another mid-tweet on top facing up. Thoughts?
Old 24th June 2011, 03:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Jimbro,

Probably to reduce lobing issues. Tweeter and woofer centers cannot be too far apart. Please refer to Planet10's post # 839 of following thread:

Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

If Dave is reading this please chime in.

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!