EL70s have arrived!! - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 7th March 2012, 08:53 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

I currently have a quad of EL70s slated for the Microtowers, with some duty in the Arro style 2 way w/ ERT26.

Also have a pair CHR-70.3 slated for FH3. I am aware that these are reasonably interchangeable.

A pair of Alpair 7's likely to join. And, staying in the family perhaps a pair of EL166s for FAST duty, although I have a pair of 8" subs that will easily play to 200+.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:01 PM   #62
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
... and that I think the EL70 is likely able to make more bass in a "normal" sized enclosure (that's speculation).
It will. The A10.2 only just edges out EL70 in how far... one of the reasons the Mar-Ken12Ts we had spare could be converted to Mar-Kel70wT (or Mar-Ken10wT)

dave
Old 7th March 2012, 09:06 PM   #63
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That would be correct

I'm lucky because I live near Dave and constantly bum parts and such off of him. I get to hear a lot of stuff. At DIY VI 2011 I heard the alp 7.3 in a very big enclosure (maeshaw? or something).
Maeshowe

Click the image to open in full size.

Not a tiny enclosure, and you do need some breathing room

Quote:
Anyways, it truly amazed me. It's one of those things that made me wonder how. The EL70 is a tick behind, but I'd purchase the EL70 considering price, and that I think the EL70 is likely able to make more bass in a "normal" sized enclosure (that's speculation).
actually fairly accurate based on my experience with both

Quote:
All other full rangers I've heard, have some catching up to do. I listened to an alp10 at Dave's some time ago... No thanks. Not bad. Just not great for the money. CHR, nope. Alp 6 and Fostex... maybe in a FAST (planning this right now). Fountek, tang band, etc. Sorry, no thanks. Haven't heard any Jordans though.
My experience with Jordan labelled products is limited and rather unfortunate - 1st pair of JX92 were damaged, second pair were from the DIY Audio group buy that was of questionable production provenance, and an orphaned model J6T (?) commissioned as OEM from Mark which was very similar to his (Mark's) own Alpair5. None of the Jordan's impressed me for their price, and it's a bit confusing to ascertain what / when official Jordan products will again be available.
Old 16th April 2012, 04:13 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since then I've listened A/B to some CHRs that were enabled. Same thing. The stock CHRs gave me a head ache and I'd never own them. The enabled were bearable. Sorry Kyle, he put me in the hot seat.
A headache?? Sure it wasn't the gas fumes in my garage? ;-)

The set of non-Enabled drivers were warmed up for a week or two of casual listening, but they could have done with some more hours for sure. I find the CHR hotter in the treble department compared to the EL70 as well. Some recordings can really sound harsh. I want to get a FAST built with the CHRs and some 10" woofers from Dave's vintage stock this summer. It will be interesting to see how if that harshness can be tamed with the miniDSP.

KM
Old 16th April 2012, 02:09 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

I hoped you never saw that

The chr doesn't suit me. I much prefer the el. But lots of people love it, so I'm not judging. I think some people might like the bright top end.
Old 16th April 2012, 02:22 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
The EL70 can't sound harsh. I've spent probably thousands of hours listening to them and they never sound harsh no matter what I play. My newly bought Denon AH-D2000 headphones sound harsh to everything without EQ (they sound nice with EQ though).
Old 16th April 2012, 04:25 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Hehe,

They're not babies, they are speaker drivers. There's nothing to be offended over! It's a reminder that our ears are part of the system as well, and we all hear a little differently. Perhaps the CHR is a good choice for ex mill workers? ;-P

Rullknufs: I agree, I feed my ELs a lot of streaming music (Radio Paradise, etc) and they are very easy to listen to, no fatigue.

KM
Old 16th April 2012, 04:31 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Ahh, well your kid is cute so there ya go
Old 16th April 2012, 04:37 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Cute and very smart!

KM

Hide this!Advertise here!