EL70s have arrived!! - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 2nd March 2012, 07:51 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Regarding eNable I think my EL70eN sounds slightly warmer than the standard EL70. I can't tell if it's better or worse though. Haven't done any A/B comparisons.
But it's always nice to know that it's a matched pair and they sure look cool
This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. My short lived opinion about Fr drivers is that they are unfairly judged in many cases. MOst would sound much better relieved of their LF duties and crossed with a woofer that brings a better baalnce across the frequency range. Sure the 7.3 and EL70's can do 60hZ, but can they do it as well as a dedicated woofer. My point is this, is maintaining FR purity worth degrading the capabilities of the FR unit when directly compared to a FAST system. Nearfiled, FR is the ultimate IMO, but in larger scale rooms, i believe there is more to be gained than lost crossing them with a woofer. I have my head gear on now, let the response fly!
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:53 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
That is true. But I haven't gotten to the point yet of F.A.S.T and I must say the EL70 actually sounds good playing FR and the bass (in my room) is good down to 40-45Hz. But ofcourse, SPL is limited and that's why I'm getting new stuff to play with.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:25 PM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
THE Zen Koan?

A kōan is a fundamental part of the history and lore of Zen Buddhism It consists of a story, dialogue, question, or statement, the meaning of which cannot be understood by rational / objective thinking but may be accessible through intuition or lateral thinking. One widely known kōan is "Two hands clap and there is a sound; what is the sound of one hand?"

edit - and while not exactly such an enigma, Buzzforb's post #41 raises the question: what's the difference between what we're calling a "FAST" and a 2-way with a large diameter tweeter?

the crossover point?

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd March 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:35 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Sorry, Nelson supposedly built an amp that he dubbed Koan. I believe the mighty ZM got his hands on it somehow. Question, If wired in parallel, if wanting to low pass one woofer, a cap would be wired in series with the one woofer, correct.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:54 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
a cap would be wired in series with the one woofer
Correct.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:37 PM   #46
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
That is true. But I haven't gotten to the point yet of F.A.S.T and I must say the EL70 actually sounds good playing FR and the bass (in my room) is good down to 40-45Hz. But ofcourse, SPL is limited and that's why I'm getting new stuff to play with.
BTW, we are going ahead with the Mar-Kel70wT + Push-Push EL166 ML-TL bass/base unit.

Like this but with EL70 instead of A12.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Mar-Kel70wT are already done

dave
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:43 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Wow, beautiful drivers!
Seems like it would be an OK speaker, but I'm afraid SPL wouldn't be loud enough for me

For an example, I listened to System Audio Explorer Master helped by a REL Gibraltar G1 subwoofer yesterday. That setup was able to play loud enough
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:49 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Been listening to Consiton^2 with 100uF cap in series with side firing driver. Cleaered up the muddy and kept the bass. XO is a little high, but sounds much better.
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:14 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

This hasbeen a learning experience for me. After adding the cap, things cleared up and i was able to retain the low end. All of the sudden this driver has gone from a backbencher to something that interest me. It doesn't have the detail of the 7.3, but it has a similar warmth and allure that you find with the 10.2. The extra bass helps bring a certain balance. I dont even have the brace behind the front driver. That should focus things even more and help with detail and attack. I dare say i could live with these.EnABL is defintely in the future. 10.2 double bvr might be very interesting.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:34 AM   #50
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Justin,

How many hours do you have on your drivers?

You have your drivers in parallel?

I've never listened to the A 10.2, but with the EL-70 you are right - the listening experience is very pleasant. I've also found them more "rock friendly" vs others.

Hide this!Advertise here!