EL70s have arrived!! - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > CSS

CSS Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) is a service-oriented provider of high-value speaker components for the DIY loudspeaker builder

Old 2nd March 2012, 06:42 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

He needs more to do

Oh and, I have done an A/B with the EL70 enabled from Dave. There was a difference. Not sure how it compares to other enabled drivers in terms of how great the difference is, if you've had other drivers enabled.
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:44 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

How would you descrbe it. Based on your avatar, you dont mind being in the hot seat!
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:00 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I have said that it was akin to reduced CSD in the treble. Someone mentioned that should sound quiter. I agreed it did. There was less ringing in the treble. They went from great, to slightly more great.

Since then I've listened A/B to some CHRs that were enabled. Same thing. The stock CHRs gave me a head ache and I'd never own them. The enabled were bearable. Sorry Kyle, he put me in the hot seat. Which is surprisingly more scary than dragging knee at 150km/hr. I know these people on a personal level But ya, the enable in both cases seemed to clean up that CSD ringing effect in the top couple octaves. My experience with the CHR was only 1hr and some important controls weren't maintained. The CHR went from bad, to ok.

I have more listening to do. Dave and I have discussed getting more time in. I only listened to that EL70 A/B pair for about 4 hours total... It was a while ago.
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:08 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Fair enough. It is exactly what they need IMO.
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:13 PM   #35
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
OK guys, just built the Conisten and then Consiten^2. Conisten^2 is muddied wiring both drivers in parallel, but i love the bass, so maybe low passing the one FR until will be the ticket. Dave says they really respond to eNabling, not that i doubt him, but any personal opinions or stories of times long past to share. Probably sending one pair to him to get the treatment. Will keep them for upcoming FAST project. Sorry for slightly OT reply!

at 3.6R, a pair in parallel could cause problems for a lot of amps - particularly in the bottom end - in series in my microtowers, the Tubelab Simple PP just luvs em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
If you buy the pair direct from him, he matches their T/S parameters also. He can tell you more though. His stock might also be running dry

Quote:
I have 4 pairs. Maybe I should send them all and he can pick best two. I love Volunteering him for work
actually total inventory was recently replenished, but ultimately this little gem will be hard to source in stock or treated form

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
He needs more to do
not right now, he doesn't - something about life interfering with plans - a Zen koan in there somewhere

Quote:

Oh and, I have done an A/B with the EL70 enabled from Dave. There was a difference. Not sure how it compares to other enabled drivers in terms of how great the difference is, if you've had other drivers enabled.
and Ryan's point on accumulated exposure / immersion is well made - although it needn't take over 10,000 hrs experience to notice the difference in emotional / musical impact, and even critics/writers with many times that may have trouble admitting to it or expressing it in objective terms
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:23 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I have 4 pairs. Maybe I should send them all and he can pick best two. I love Volunteering him for work
That would be best. Or flip a pair and get a freah set... since USPS dropped ground post that most often leaves you ahead in the pocketbook.

dave
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:25 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

not right now, he doesn't - something about life interfering with plans - a Zen koan in there somewhere
Ya, I get the sense he's quite busy. I meant that as a joke.

Quote:

emotional / musical impact
You can see I'm not very good at using those types of terms It's difficult to express in objective terms as you mentioned. I'm to technical for that sort of thing. But yes, the treble region is what improved imo.
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:29 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
at 3.6R, a pair in parallel could cause problems for a lot of amps - particularly in the bottom end - in series in my microtowers, the Tubelab Simple PP just luvs em

actually total inventory was recently replenished, but ultimately this little gem will be hard to source in stock or treated form

and Ryan's point on accumulated exposure / immersion is well made - although it needn't take over 10,000 hrs experience to notice the difference in emotional / musical impact, and even critics/writers with many times that may have trouble admitting to it or expressing it in objective terms
Driving them with Ba3 biased at 3 amps capable of rail to rail ClassA
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:31 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That would be best. Or flip a pair and get a freah set... since USPS dropped ground post that most often leaves you ahead in the pocketbook.

dave
You have mail asking about eNable cost, among other things THE Zen Koan?
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:39 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Regarding eNable I think my EL70eN sounds slightly warmer than the standard EL70. I can't tell if it's better or worse though. Haven't done any A/B comparisons.
But it's always nice to know that it's a matched pair and they sure look cool

Hide this!Advertise here!