• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL70s have arrived!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding eNable I think my EL70eN sounds slightly warmer than the standard EL70. I can't tell if it's better or worse though. Haven't done any A/B comparisons.
But it's always nice to know that it's a matched pair and they sure look cool :)

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. My short lived opinion about Fr drivers is that they are unfairly judged in many cases. MOst would sound much better relieved of their LF duties and crossed with a woofer that brings a better baalnce across the frequency range. Sure the 7.3 and EL70's can do 60hZ, but can they do it as well as a dedicated woofer. My point is this, is maintaining FR purity worth degrading the capabilities of the FR unit when directly compared to a FAST system. Nearfiled, FR is the ultimate IMO, but in larger scale rooms, i believe there is more to be gained than lost crossing them with a woofer. I have my head gear on now, let the response fly!

THE Zen Koan?

A kōan is a fundamental part of the history and lore of Zen Buddhism It consists of a story, dialogue, question, or statement, the meaning of which cannot be understood by rational / objective thinking but may be accessible through intuition or lateral thinking. One widely known kōan is "Two hands clap and there is a sound; what is the sound of one hand?"

edit - and while not exactly such an enigma, Buzzforb's post #41 raises the question: what's the difference between what we're calling a "FAST" and a 2-way with a large diameter tweeter?

the crossover point?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is true. But I haven't gotten to the point yet of F.A.S.T and I must say the EL70 actually sounds good playing FR and the bass (in my room) is good down to 40-45Hz. But ofcourse, SPL is limited and that's why I'm getting new stuff to play with.

BTW, we are going ahead with the Mar-Kel70wT + Push-Push EL166 ML-TL bass/base unit.

Like this but with EL70 instead of A12.

268003d1329961760-new-project-woof-wt-w-mk12t-3d-1kx.gif

268002d1329961760-new-project-woof-wt-wmk12t-scene.gif

The Mar-Kel70wT are already done

260644d1326694583-three-flavours-mar-kel70-el70-mk70wt-fir-comp.jpg

dave

This hasbeen a learning experience for me. After adding the cap, things cleared up and i was able to retain the low end. All of the sudden this driver has gone from a backbencher to something that interest me. It doesn't have the detail of the 7.3, but it has a similar warmth and allure that you find with the 10.2. The extra bass helps bring a certain balance. I dont even have the brace behind the front driver. That should focus things even more and help with detail and attack. I dare say i could live with these.EnABL is defintely in the future. 10.2 double bvr might be very interesting.

Bought them second hand, so i dont know. I wont give final verdict ubtil i have all bracing inside and film cap on crossover. Right now using elna silmics. Still will be going FAST, but as i said, i could stop here. Dave says these drivers respond well to eNable, so i may have to try based on my trusg of his advice, my enjoyment of them already, and listening to my brothers eNabled 10.2's. It brought the clarity up a notch. We have them in Dave's new 10.2 T.

Chris, have you compared the "flat top" dual EL 70 microtowers to the Castle versions? I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in imaging. I can certainly manage the castle build but the flat top is definitely simpler.

I doubt anyone has heard every single enclosure to which this driver is well suited, but I have heard a few myself - if you have the floorspace, the Castle version of micro-tower is a knock-out with dual EL70s per side.... http://creativesound.ca/pdf/Mar-Kel70-1v01f-map-110410.pdf

I'd agree w/ crossover point. Current 2 way designs w/ 6.5 to 7" midbass and 1" tweets are crossing between 1000 and 2000. Typically need to be a bit choosy about the midbass breakup.

Seems one could cross the EL70 at 200 or so and make both the EL70 and the woof/mid bass happier. Opens more choices w/ mid bass and makes XO likely simpler? No?

Also seems FAST is trying to manage w/ simple ( ~1st order) XOs while the 2 way is still using 3rd / 4th order on the tweet and 2nd on the mid bass.

edit - and while not exactly such an enigma, Buzzforb's post #41 raises the question: what's the difference between what we're calling a "FAST" and a 2-way with a large diameter tweeter?

the crossover point?

the crossover point?

Exactly.I have done a lot of listening the last few days to multiple setups. The 7.3 and el70 are nice drivers with the el70 being the smoother and the 7.3 being preciseand detailed but harsher on lesser recordings. The 10.2 is smoky like butta, but doesn't maintain the detail of the other two. It definitely adds some weight to the music that you don't get with the others. The dual el70 seems to go as low, but the way it does so is different, being quick, fast and tight, while the 10.2 is smooth and rounded. If I can get it done, all will be crossed to a CA22RNx this weekend. It should work decent with a 1str order XO. I will be adding the 6p to the mix. All we be crossed in the 250-350 area.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Seems one could cross the EL70 at 200 or so and make both the EL70 and the woof/mid bass happier. Opens more choices w/ mid bass and makes XO likely simpler? No?

Also seems FAST is trying to manage w/ simple ( ~1st order) XOs while the 2 way is still using 3rd / 4th order on the tweet and 2nd on the mid bass.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

dave

particularly if you're able to XO at line level and multi-amp, and there are so many ways to achieve that these days

not universally, but certainly many do have higher parts count than some SE amps, particularly when Zobels and notch/contour filters are included

Chris, have you compared the "flat top" dual EL 70 microtowers to the Castle versions? I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in imaging. I can certainly manage the castle build but the flat top is definitely simpler.

no, the closest to a direct comparison of the presentation that I'd be able to make would be with the quite different Pensil Alpair7 ( a very nice monopole MLTL)

these drivers are different enough in tonality and resolution of inner detail that it's a bit of an apples/ oranges kinda situation, but the Castle gets my vote for extra dimensionality of soundstage - indeed one of the items on my wish list is to try a pair with the Alpairs.

perhaps not exactly the answer you were looking for, but a little obfuscation never hurt anyone - careful though, too much and you might go blind

From this comment and a lot of similar ones (Mr. Brines comes to mind) would I be correct in concluding that the Alpair 7.3 really is that special?

in a word - yup - certainly a bit step up in refinement & detail over the very nice CHR70.3

clearly any driver this size will have limits in terms of maximum SPL and LF extension, but what this little guy does well, it does so bloody well, that yup it's pretty special

relieve them of heavy lifting below, say 150 - 200, such as in a "FAST" (or as I like to think of them, a 2-way with low XO point) or a 5.1 HT rig, and they really blossom

OTOH the paper coned EL70 ain't chopped liver either

I have both as well as enclosures with Alpair 10.2, Fostex FF165WK and FE127 in my current stable, and currently spend more time watching TV/movies with the Alpair7 & 6M HT rig.

the Alpair 7.3 really is that special

That would be correct :p

I'm lucky because I live near Dave and constantly bum parts and such off of him. I get to hear a lot of stuff. At DIY VI 2011 I heard the alp 7.3 in a very big enclosure (maeshaw? or something). Anyways, it truly amazed me. It's one of those things that made me wonder how. The EL70 is a tick behind, but I'd purchase the EL70 considering price, and that I think the EL70 is likely able to make more bass in a "normal" sized enclosure (that's speculation).

All other full rangers I've heard, have some catching up to do. I listened to an alp10 at Dave's some time ago... No thanks. Not bad. Just not great for the money. CHR, nope. Alp 6 and Fostex... maybe in a FAST (planning this right now). Fountek, tang band, etc. Sorry, no thanks. Haven't heard any Jordans though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.