Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of - Page 82 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2011, 08:18 PM   #811
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default Category: For What Its Worth

Click the image to open in full size.

I triangulate my stiffeners. One is visible through each of the driver openings. These are made from hardwood, ~1' inch thick, about 2" crown in the center and tapered to each end. There are 14 distributed in each of those cabinets. There are mid-point cross braces front to back and side to side in the finished work.

They all cross the panel points most susceptible to vibration.
They use a minimum of material.
They are easy to install...glue and pin nails.
Old 11th September 2011, 08:40 PM   #812
kaktus is offline kaktus  Sweden
diyAudio Member

454: "Increase the wall thickness as high as you can afford"

Youre right in a bigger sense. The cost of housing makes the inner width of the walls to my Stockholm apartment the main limiting factor.

mondogenerator: "To me BOTH have their valid arguements, but i simply believe that SOME level of panel damping is always necessary, no matter how stiff a panel may be."

Perhaps there is some way damping that is easy to put in and take away to experiment? or I could do left speaker with and right speaker without damping.

For the sub the inner height will be 56cm (width: 34cm, depth: 43cm). With a 30cm speaker on top of front baffle it means only some 25cm height below the hole in the baffle. Is it any idea to squeeze in two horizontal shelfs there? perhaps instead one holey horizontal shelf just below the speakers hole and then another one above (which means it will not be full length since the basket is in the way and Planet 10 have strong opinions against it)?
Old 11th September 2011, 09:12 PM   #813
diyAudio Member

Ed, that kind of stiffeners looks clever. And so very beautiful cabs!
Old 11th September 2011, 10:46 PM   #814
diyAudio Member

i wouldnt like to say if you have enough room for the brace you describe, but i do think a vertical brace may be better, even if that means making a cutout for the woofer. Failing that any almost any bracing can help if done properly. It takes time adjusting damping material, but ive used brown bread damping sheet. Bitumen base with alu foil. I warm it slightly to apply, and it holds ok. Even so it can be removed relatively easily ie needed. Felt or wool lining is good for absorbing reflected sound, but does little to damp panel resonance.

I have a similar problem. I wanted to have a vertical brace in a different plane. Centre of baffle to rear panel, including a magnet brace. Fairly P10/Woden inspired i guess. If u can fit 2 or more horizontal braces in the right places, then the difference with a single vertical brace, i feel would be minimal.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 11th September 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:44 PM   #815
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus View Post
454: "Increase the wall thickness as high as you can afford"

Youre right in a bigger sense. The cost of housing makes the inner width of the walls to my Stockholm apartment the main limiting factor.

mondogenerator: "To me BOTH have their valid arguements, but i simply believe that SOME level of panel damping is always necessary, no matter how stiff a panel may be."

Perhaps there is some way damping that is easy to put in and take away to experiment? or I could do left speaker with and right speaker without damping.

For the sub the inner height will be 56cm (width: 34cm, depth: 43cm). With a 30cm speaker on top of front baffle it means only some 25cm height below the hole in the baffle. Is it any idea to squeeze in two horizontal shelfs there? perhaps instead one holey horizontal shelf just below the speakers hole and then another one above (which means it will not be full length since the basket is in the way and Planet 10 have strong opinions against it)?
Does it matter if the damping goes on the inside or the outside? For a speaker test bed, aesthetics should be the least of your worries.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:51 PM   #816
diyAudio Member

huh... a brace is not really used as a panel stiffener, it does that but that is not why it works, it bisects the surface in the same way your finger does when you press down on a guitar fret board, put your finger half way down the string and you rase the pitch one octave. If the open panel primary resonance is say 500Hz and you bisect it once with a vertical brace you get two panels with primary resonance of 1kHz bisect those vertically and you get four panels with primary resonances of 2kHz.

technically two vertical braces on 3rd's will rase the panel resonance more than an X brace, as an X brace only moves the resonance one octave and the two vertical braces on 3rd's rase the panel resonance one octave + perfect 5th.

raising the resonances as much as possible then damping (impedience mismatch) the open areas with something heavy and flexible like pond liner glued down with silicone has worked well for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-Guitar_harmonic_nodes.jpg (52.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Harmonic_motion4.jpg (16.5 KB, 212 views)
Old 11th September 2011, 11:56 PM   #817
diyAudio Member

although... an X brace will spread the first , second and third resonances over a larger frequency range so you will not get a box that goes nuts at one frequency but goes slightly mental over a larger frequency range
Old 12th September 2011, 06:28 AM   #818
diyAudio Member

mondogenerator: "i wouldnt like to say if you have enough room for the brace you describe, but i do think a vertical brace may be better,"

Planet 10 said the same thing I think. But why shouldnt it be more effective to brace the bigger surface (the box will be higher than it is wide)?

revboden: " a brace is not really used as a panel stiffener, it does that but that is not why it works, it bisects the surface in the same way your finger does when you press down on a guitar fret board"

That was interesting. I thought the braces also weakened the vibrations some dB.
Old 12th September 2011, 06:59 AM   #819
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
... the ideal for would be to raise the resonant frequency of the panel high enough that it is not excited by the loudspeaker.
A huge factor here is the energy available to feed a resonance, Physics says that the energy available decreases with the square of the frequency. There are further factors that one can use to argue that in a speaker it is actually decreasing by the 4th power of the frequency.

Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of

Quote:
expanding upon this and dividing the panel along the longest width say with 3 braces rather than a single, increases stiffness again. dividing this with horizontal braces will increase it further.
Actually the horizontal brace likely does not improve things significantly.

What bracing does is reduce the span across which the panel can resonant. The short dimension dominates. The relationship here is linear, halve the distance double the frequency. (edit: i see revboden beat me to that)

dave
Old 12th September 2011, 07:03 AM   #820
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
I like the method where you increase the wall thickness as high as you can afford.
At the possible penalty of increased energy storage (and later release), particularily with homogeneous materials

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!