Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Solid stone looks fantastic, but the difficulty of using it makes it impractical for most of us.

The stone veneer I'm thinking of using is this stuff: Natural Stone Veneer
Its a thin layer 1 or 2 mm (1mm = a 25th of an inch) resin bonded to a glass fibre backing. I'm thinking of using it instead of a traditional wood veneer, in the hope of producing something that looks like a slate enclosure, suppresses resonance perhaps better than a timber veneer, and will be less susceptible to movement due to changes in humidity etc., with the effect that can have on bending the panels or splitting the veneer.
I've just had a couple of samples delivered and it looks very promising, but i wondered if it had crossed anyone else's radar yet?

Just to add a little, the stiffness is less than the substrate (hardwood ply), and it will be attached with a PVA or similar glue. I don't anticipate any attachment / detachment problems. The idea is that two materials with differing characteristics will inhibit either from freely resonating in the way it would if left on its own. But I accept the idea may be wrong. Tell me if you think it might be.

I guess somewhere there's a billiards/pool/snooker table with some big cutouts! :)

I asked the local stone worker for a quote, was > 1000 euros.

Then I just bought a cheap angle grinder with diamond blade (<100 euro), and a few huge slate floor tiles (around 60 euros) and cut it myself :)
Actually really easy to do, diamond blade goes through slate like it's butter.

Small ones used 100x50x1.5cm tiles, large ones I only remember the thickness which was 28mm.

All in all took me *way* less time than the normal sanding/painting routine with MDF!

I asked the local stone worker for a quote, was > 1000 euros.

Then I just bought a cheap angle grinder with diamond blade (<100 euro), and a few huge slate floor tiles (around 60 euros) and cut it myself :)
Actually really easy to do, diamond blade goes through slate like it's butter.

Small ones used 100x50x1.5cm tiles, large ones I only remember the thickness which was 28mm.

All in all took me *way* less time than the normal sanding/painting routine with MDF!
Great idea, never even considered using floor tile for cabinet finishing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.