Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2007, 12:25 AM   #21
Account disabled at member's request

scottmoose: I have worked with solid wood all of my life, and for the part 25 years professionally. I have built a hugh number of things with solid wood, so I know exactly what it will do.
When I get the opportunity, I will read everything by Terry Cain, not because he has anything to teach me about wood, but for my own personal amusement. I'm always interested in the spread of misinformation.
What I am saying here is that this is suposed to be a DIY forum, not the prestigious League of Elite Speaker Constructors. Rookie box builders shouldn't mess with solid wood for speakers. They also shouldn't be bullied into thinking that they will get inferior results by using a cheap material like MDF. Ever hear of Tony Gee? What, are all of his efforts garbage because he uses MDF?
I don't think so.
Old 24th March 2007, 12:27 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Err, Terry was first and foremost a DIY enthusiast. That's how he started, and remained to the end. He sold speakers for sure. That was his dream, after 3 decades of building fine furniture. His tragic death last December robbed us all of a good friend.

No acrimony intended on my part Al. Sorry it came over that way to you, or anyone else, and any unintentional offense I caused I apologise for unreservedly.

edit -I removed anything from this post that might have been construed as having a personal reference. As noted above, none was intended.
Old 24th March 2007, 12:47 AM   #23

As you know, I am fairly new to this forum. I joined to engage in conversations about one of my favourite topics: audio. It seems that here, unless you ask a question that all of the "experts" can weight in on, you are ignored. No one wants your opinion, they just want to answer your question. Some of the answers are wrong, I should bite my tongue?
A man walks into a bar where no one knows him, does that mean he knows nothing?

I'm having fun pinkmouse
Old 24th March 2007, 12:50 AM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
A Some of the answers are wrong, I should bite my tongue?
Definitely not, but we ask that disagreements are kept on a technical level, not personal.

Quote:
I'm having fun pinkmouse
Good!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th March 2007, 01:11 AM   #25

I limit myself to a little good natured ribbing

scottmouse: I got you fired up? It was good though? something to look forward to in the next post! Best wishes.
Old 24th March 2007, 08:29 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Moose, please. I'm a fan of the larger species myself...

Best
Scott
Old 24th March 2007, 06:22 PM   #27

scottmoose: Sorry for the typo. BTW I visited Terry Cain's site and noticed that they use the much maligned Voigt pipe design. While this is a good design for solid wood (it eliminates cross-grain joints, at least on the top), didn't Martin King condemn this design as the worst possible TL configuration? Haveyou had the opportunity to hear them in action?
With that said, my rear surround speakers are small Voight pipes. Being surrounds, I never hear enough output to judge the quality.
Old 24th March 2007, 07:15 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi!
I think it was mentioned before but this is crucial when building with solid wood.
Even when moisture content is correct, the wood has to be sealed with lacquer on internal walls also. It's enough with one layer but it will almost impossible to glue them together with water based wood glue. Better then to use a solvent based glue but as always, test first if you have adhesion between lacquer and glue.
Another option is to mask the areas to be glued.

I had a humbling experience a few decade's ago. I had a house at that time with some pine tree's in the garden. A storm brought down five tree's. These were cut and dried in a friends sawmill. Two pair of speakers were built. 5-6 months later I was sitting and listening when a strange, like electric charges, occured! I turned off the amplifier but still could hear this sound. Turned to the loudspeaker and saw a crack travel from bottom to the top!!

Conclusion is, one can build speakers of solid wood BUT be prepared to get unpleasant surprises. It's a living material and despite your 100 years of wood working, mother nature does not give a d%&n of your experience.
BTW, my BIB's made of veneered chipboard has warped also, I think that you are not safe whatever is used.

Cheers
Peter
Old 24th March 2007, 07:28 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
Terry Cain's site and noticed that they use the much maligned Voigt pipe design.... Haveyou had the opportunity to hear them in action?
The Abbey is actualy a mass loaded voigt. Not as much mass as i'd use, but they do sound quite good. I don't know if they sound as good as possible -- it would be interesting to hear them in comparison to a set of Metronomes with the same driver.

dave
Old 24th March 2007, 08:18 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by peterbrorsson
when building with solid wood.
Even when moisture content is cor
As i mentioned when i suggested the pine over the MDF, i did say that you needed to know what you were doing... building with solid is challenging. I have alerted Scott Dunn to this part of the thread -- he is the foremost expert i know on the subject. opefully he will check in on Monday (he only gets email at work) and comment.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!