Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2007, 05:31 AM   #101
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 454Casull

From what I remember, increasing the thickness will also raise resonant frequency, since stiffness goes up with the cube while mass only follows linearly with thickness.

I'd have to look it up to confirm, but i think that adding mass lowers resonance by the square.

dave
Old 27th March 2007, 10:55 AM   #102
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

In my next 3way "classic monitor", I might make a seperate mid/tweeter baffle of 6mm aluminium

In general fore bigger baffles I think a 10mm aluminium baffle would be nice - could be finished with wood
Old 27th March 2007, 03:04 PM   #103
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

BTW.. I will use cheap "eastern" plywood

I dont care if baltic or marine plywood is of better quality - I like "soft wood" for speaker cabinets and as fore the finish, it will be left rough as it is

Like others I think MDF has no soul at all, actually it has been said that the HDF is the worst of all
Old 27th March 2007, 06:24 PM   #104
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: building with real wood

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon

Wait... did Cal and Chris just agree on something audio? Uh-oh.

I knew if I waited long enough, you'd come around.

Quote:

Jumbo sized bass electons need jumbo wire, you know that.

"As everybody knows high power amplifiers use larger electrons to achieve this high power. The bigger electrons don't start or stop as fast as normal electrons resulting in much heavier, less nimble watts.
So high power amplifiers can never have the finesse of low power amplifiers. High sensitivity speakers only work with the smaller electrons (the smallest are produced by tube amplifiers).
Thus if you use a high power amplifier with sensitive speakers you need a transformer that slims down the electrons and makes them
swifter. Such transformers are available from Jenny Craig Audio Inc., Phen-Fenophile Corp. and the US Nuclear Agency."

Alan Ross
PS. Don't forget to elevate the amplifiers above the speakers, so the signal can flow easier.

cheers Cal
Old 27th March 2007, 10:12 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"As everybody knows high power amplifiers use larger electrons to achieve this high power. The bigger electrons don't start or stop as fast as normal electrons resulting in much heavier, less nimble watts.
So high power amplifiers can never have the finesse of low power amplifiers. High sensitivity speakers only work with the smaller electrons (the smallest are produced by tube amplifiers).
Thus if you use a high power amplifier with sensitive speakers you need a transformer that slims down the electrons and makes them swifter.
Such transformers are available from Jenny Craig Audio Inc., Phen-Fenophile Corp. and the US Nuclear Agency."
Now that's what I call science, or marketing for Electroworld super market

Cheers
Peter
Old 28th March 2007, 01:11 AM   #106
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Cheers Chris, thanks for bringing out the whole quote. It's one of my favourites.
Old 28th March 2007, 01:25 AM   #107
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Why didn't someone let me know this was going on?...Like around post #65?

From ScottMOOSE:

Quote:
Either that, or line the regular 3/4in material with at least 1/4in of concrete board, as Bob Brines does with his MLTLs. That works, but you then run into other problems such as energy storage.
I'm cutting 3/4" mdf now. I have the cement board and #420 acoustic panels at hand. Please suggest any options I have to overcome energy storage. Cross-bracing?
Old 28th March 2007, 01:51 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
In my most recent speakers I used sonotube, plywood and 1/4" aluminum angles. Those pieces allowed me not to use conventional baffle for TM section:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (64.7 KB, 1411 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 28th March 2007, 01:52 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Here's the inside view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (64.9 KB, 1308 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 28th March 2007, 01:55 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Due to that arrangement the tweeter and midrange surfaces are in the same plane (Esg1 mounts from outside, FAL from inside). The sonotubes are filled with sand, the outside is veneered with plastic laminate (high gloss black)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (91.0 KB, 1325 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!