Polishing to mirror-finish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There must be something strange with ImageShack.

Have you updated the certificate database manually through Windows Update? (It's an "optional" update, you'll never get it automatically) You'll stop getting a lot of bad certificate errors if you update it.

BTW, found the problem, ZoneAlarm seems to block redirection to ImageShack normally... You'll need to enable cookies for www.diyaudio.com apparently.

I fix computers in my spare time, one of the cases I had was a computer that was slow, crashed all the time and couldn't access to the Internet. It looked like some spyware or something. Finally, ZoneAlarm was the problem.

I wasn't surprised as Symantec Norton, ZoneAlarm, McAfee et al. base themselves on their reputation and marketing to sell quite average products.

I've just been told that the Airbrush line of Tri-Art products is available at curries, and is higher in pigment loading than anything in the tri-art line, other than the "tri-art's finest-high viscosity", which is insanely pigmented. Both are about the same.

I was told that if the colors you desire are in the airbrush line, then get those, as to get the viscosity correct for the lower lines, or even the 'high viscosity' products..you need to thin..and then the pigment loading drops.

Omer DeSerres also carries some of the Tri-Art product.

Hint: If the paint says 'made in Canada' on the label, it's likely a Tri-Art product.

I just looked at the websites for the two major stores/companies that are in the Montreal area.

As far as I can tell, neither carry the tri-art airbrush product.

From what I can tell, is they carry the 'Macdonalds' high profit margin products that 'give good return' but are no where near in quality as the Tri-Art airbrush products. It's bizarre..in the artist world, having a superior product with an excellent rack record is not enough. You need to be around for 100 years or so, before they trust you. All I know is that in labs and in the real world, the best is the Tri-art products, when it comes to acrylics.

Liquitex, and Golden are like 'Sony' and 'Yamaha'..where the Tri-art is like Chord, Levinson, etc....or any other maximum quality, 'to-hell-with-the-cost' type of product....it is usually BELOW the price of the lLquitex and Golden products. Yet the two companies mentioned frequently steal ideas and even labeling schemes off of tri-art. It's a screwed up world.

I use a Paasche external mix airbrush (model 200H) and get excellent results. In fact, the course head for that brush works best when shooting lacquer. I think I paid $40 for the airbrush and hose. It was actually the least expensive model. It came with a 3 ounce bottle and a paint cup. I'm usually that guy who buys the upper models because I like gadgets. This is certainly a case where more expensive isn't necessarily better as my finer brushes just wouldn't shoot lacquer even thinned more than 1 to 1.

As it turns out, the brush you use is highly dependant on the viscosity of the material being sprayed. I ususally thin lacquer between 1 to 1 and 2 parts lacquer to 1 part thinner depending on the size of the object I'm paintingand how hot it is on the day I shoot it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.