A 'how to' for High Gloss Finishing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Man-oh-man, you may just have asked the 'wrongliest' question: "What do I need to know"? Everything, lol!
Of course I am joking, and I will never abuse your good will. I do not expect to be spoon-fed, but I also "do not know what it is that I do not know", so what I am going to do is the honest, respectful thing: to read ALL posts in this thread (the conversation zig-zags a lot...) and take notes of the sticking points, and then come back with objective questions.
For the time being, I heartily thank you for your readiness to help!

You can buy high build primers at napa auto parts stores in USA. You do NOT need to take it to an auto body shop for this.
EronSilva,
Pore / grain fillers and high build primers can really help out in the beginning stages of the finish. Be aware of compatibility with the different materials. ie; lacquer , polyurethanes, varnish, shellac, water based finishes.
Prep is the key, a smooth prep can make everything else much easier and cheaper too.

Yes there is no s TOO much to consider lol

I would start with research on primer, base and clear coat. I used cheap stuff at local hardware stores so i was doomed at the beginning. There is no answe to which paint is best unfortunately and it is a trial. My research points me to automotive 2 part urethane paint since it hardens better and hard pint can be polished. Paired with a compatible high build, easily sandable primer.

Than you need a quality spray system.

Than you need a ventilated spray room.

Than you need a polishing technique. Elbow grease vs power polisher.

What you could also do is have your paint guy complete the speakers in stages.
1. Primer stage. Than you take it back and sand it smooth.
2. Base coat stage. Have him put ona thick base coat. Take it and sand it smooth.
3. Clear coat stage. Have him put on a thick clear coat. Take it and polish it yourself.

Or just take his final product and use the same clear coat as him and re-spray, sand, polish. - that might be a really good option

I'd like to cast a vote for automotive urethane finishes. Last summer, I needed to re-finish some dining room chairs, and tried an automotive finish. The base coat was fine, so I sanded with 400 paper, and mixed this two-part finish. Sprayed the stuff with my 35 year old Binks spray gun, and let it dry.

The result was stunning. Truly glossy, smooth, shiny. The only drawbacks were the really bad smell of the solvent (through a respirator and outdoors), and the cost. $300 for one quart of paint, activator and thinner...

I'd do it again, though. She's very happy with the results.

Dear Renron, Gravedigger and Jplesset - thank you very much for your input and great advice.
I grew up in Brazil, and DIY was a constant in my life there. Now however I live in Israel, the country of DIIC (do it in china), so the best information I could expect was the kind provided by Gravedigger - what to look for (in Tel Aviv, the twin of my hated hometown, Sao Paulo: ginormous, noisy, cluttered with cars and full of indifferent people).
High quality, 2-part urethane automotive paint it will be: my speakers produce a high end sound, then the appearance needs to match. Come Sunday (a workday here!), I will be there, while hoping to get back to my little town asap.

Gravedigger, I appreciate the suggestion of going step-by-step with my paint guy, but he is too busy and really does not realize what we are up to. High end audio is 'terra incognita' for him, and I really want to bring this in-house, as my son (also partner and best friend) and I regard this finishing job as part and parcel of this small gem we were blessed with producing (yes, our bookshelf is that good).
G-d bless you guys, I will keep you posted on the developments.

Last edited:
Quality control paranoia

Eron,

Keep us posted of your results and "boa sorte" with your branded speakers!

Cheers,

D

Dear Duda, since last time I managed to get the Aleph auditioned by dtown.co.il, the go-to forum in Israel for hiend matters. They expect to upload the text and pictures next week. I'll let you know.
I also designed a purpose stand that puts the tweeter center 1.15 m from the floor. Very stylish and also finished piano black. "As if" it were a floorstander. And Duda, the Alephs fill the ambient without distorting under higher levels. I am very excited and hoping for the best (the preparation for the worst seems to be past us by now).
Now excuse me, friend, I have a world to conquer! :D

Hi,

I am making a small project and I would like to make a good looking high gloss finish on MDF. I have read almost the whole topic. I just need some advices.

I am confused about which clear coat to use.
There are two options, all of them is 2K:

1. clear coat 1
clear coat 2

2. the second option is a high gloss, 2K, polyurethane based lacquer made for parquet/floor, I cannot insert a site link about it.

I am not sure, which one would fit my project better, because I have read the polyurethane based are better for high gloss finish, but the other acryl based clear coats are made specially for cars, which needs high gloss finishing.
And how many layers do you recommend, because the website of the clear coat recommends only two layers for cars?

Thanks in advance.

I have sprayed both regular lacquer and automotive lacquer. Both can create a very high-gloss result. The automotive finishes are MUCH more expensive. I just purchased a gallon of clear high-gloss lacquer for spraying cabinets. $50. Two years ago, I bought 1 quart of automotive gloss catalyzed lacquer, for $200.

The automotive product is "better" in that it is more water resistant, more likely to last out doors. The finished product looks great in both cases.

Thank you all for helping me.

Each clear coat I mentioned costs almost the same 60$/gallon. Maybe I will choose the automotive one.

I would like to make the gloss finish on a DIY subwoofer.
Unfortunately I cannot buy a sealer rattle can in my country which was highly recommended. I am wondering if I make a lot of layers of the primer, if I can have the same result. I know this is important because of the absorption of the lacquer.

Have a nice day!

Hi,

I have read that the isocyanates are dangerous so I am trying to avoid the clear coats that contain it. I have found a great alternative.

Does this contain any dangerous chemicals like isocyanates?
This pigmented lacquer uses modified alkyd resin, do you have any experince with it?

Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.