Build your own stereo rack!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You want to isolate the devices from vibration just place every thing on soft rubber blocks. So based on the OP's design I would place each device on small rubber feet. each Shelf would have oversize holes and would rest on rubber ring collars and finally your spines feet would be resting on a pads of Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene and rubber. The UHMW pads are to prevent you spikes from piercing the rubber pads.

You would need to make you shelves heavy to provide some inertial dampening...steel plate maybe:)

The end product would very isolated. Juts to give some perspective the first TEM (Tunneling electron microscope) was isolated using Steel Plates and Little rubber toy cars:)

I built a cabinet that is completely non-resonant (the cabinet is filled with sand and rests on a separate
concrete foundation. The lower the frequencies produced by subwoofers the more difficult it is to
get complete isolation. I have a Eminent Technology
rotary subwoofer that goes down to below 1 hz and this method works extremely well. View attachment 208295
Hello -I've taken an interest in this thread as I'm getting ready to do something similar and want to see what other's have done. I'm starting on building a media/listening room in my basement from scratch. I've decided I want to included a built-in rack on the front wall to house (and showcase) my Pioneer Elite components.

I'm going to take some steps to deaden my room (probably double thick dryway), but not go crazy. I'm thinking I want to build the rack super structure out of 2 x 4s and rest the rear support legs on big rubber cushions for isolation purposes. I'll likely have 3/4" thick shelves with suitable plys for strength and added rigidity. The inside will be pegged side panels for adjustable shelves and painted black. The back will be open into my equipment room, much like yours. BTW, being able to get behind my gear is something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid and now with this space I'm finally able to fulfill that dream at 61! :) Better late than never. Haven't decided what kind of a front I want on it yet - if any.

So, having said that.. do you have some pictures you'd be willing to share showing the back panel and what you used to construct it? Maybe it will give me some ideas. Your rack looks very well done, but since I'm no cabinet maker and all of it will be in the wall, I figure I can go too wrong with my design. The wall it will be in is going to have extra studs in it for support and flexibility so I can mount my TV on 16" centers, but not having to move 16" in either direction to hit a stud. Either that, or I'll install a 2 x 6 horizontally between the studs where I know the TV will mount. The walls and ceiling will be filled with Roxul and a heavy acoustic drop ceiling.

Thanks for sharing your beautifully built rack.

Rick

My father built this back in 1960. To house the Eico HFT90 tuner and homebrew Dynaco clones he also built. Somewhat similar style to the Magnavox and such stereo consoles popular at the time. Here it's housing more modern gear.
etcentr.jpg

and a rough drawing of woodworking plans you can vary to suit your needs:
etcntr.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.