How do you punch out your chassis holes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use hole saws in a drill press, plus I have a hand drill for quick drilling of M3 holes which I use a lot with nylon threaded spacers holding solder tags - mostly when I put a M3 screw through I put a nylon threaded spacer right on the back instead of a nut. Economises on chassis holes and gives plenty of points to solder components to. Andy

"i'm refering to socket holes, transformer holes..."

For my current project, I simply drilled all holes for mounting components, including the 7-pin miniature tube sockets. For the Octals, I rented a hydraulic "conduit punch" that easily knocked out the holes. For mounting the power xfmr, I simply made the cut out with a Dremel. Worked like a charm.

Until I can afford good punches, I use a 28TPI blade on my scrollsaw and lots of oil. keep it around 900 SPM or less for aluminum and other soft metals. Steel, forget it!

Regular twist drill bits (titanium with the most used ones being cobalt) for smaller holes (1/2" and less).

socket & transformer holes

For round holes I use Greenlee punches. Makes for an ultra clean hole & various sizes are perfect for most tube sockets.

As for square holes, I use a chassis 'nibbler' tool. It snaps out a small 1/8" x 1/4" piece at a time. Tedious, but does perform. After I am finished with the nibbler square hole, I use a flat file to smooth out each side of the square hole.

A nibbler tool can not cut steel easily that is thicker than about 20 guage. Aluminum is easy & any aluminum Hammond chassis is not a problem. Real square punches exist, but are terribly expensive.

If I was to mass produce tube gear, I would use a custom die & 30-50 ton press.

time for some serious CNC discussion here -- I have a Grizzly mini-mill which the "young men" of the family purchased for me 2 Christmas' ago -- one of their friends, a CMU grad has adapted a bigger Grizly with XYZ stepper motors --

so you don't need a 30 ton punch press anymore -- but you will need to figure out how to translate your cad drawings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.