Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Making PCB without a computer
Making PCB without a computer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2018, 12:21 PM   #41
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Beware of the stock footprints in any PCB program. They are often close to, or equal to the manufacturers recommendations which are optimized for machine insertion and wave soldering for leaded parts and pick and place with solder paste for SMD assembly. Neither of these are best for hand soldering by less than perfect DIY builders (rookies or old shaky hands like mine).

For many parts especially TO92's, but even for leaded resistors, I spread the leads and use larger pads.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:36 PM   #42
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Beware of the stock footprints in any PCB program...

...For many parts especially TO92's, but even for leaded resistors, I spread the leads and use larger pads.
In total agreement here.

That's why I like EspressPCB, I design all my own footprints with larger pads, typically 80 thou with 35 thou drill.

The only let down is that it's limited to round or square pads and no option for oval DIL style pads.
Old 16th August 2018, 01:46 PM   #43
campsquire is offline campsquire  United States
diyAudio Member

General rule I have:
If you want to make more than one of some PCB design, go computer, otherwise anything goes.
Although I've never done this, I've wanted to try a three dimension sculpture using discrete through hole components, no wire, just interconnecting leads. Pot it in clear liquid resin. The end result would look chaotic which most people assume is what electronics is about anyway.
Old 16th August 2018, 04:35 PM   #44
edbarx is offline edbarx  Malta
diyAudio Member

The advantage of a well planned and thought PCB layout using a computer should be that of neatness and ease of identifying the various circuit elements. I am after that, and I also consider neatness as a plus. One simply cannot demonstrate the interior of an DIY amplifier if this is chaotically built. I want something worthy of admiration, and that, I am afraid requires great patience and perseverance.

Last edited by edbarx; 16th August 2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling

Making PCB without a computerHide this!Advertise here!