Shielded cables for wiring inside chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If this is for tube/valve amps, then there are a few comments worth making imho.

Many signal connections can be at high impedance nodes, where stray capacitance from the shield may be an influence, especially for hi-fi related amps where extended bandwidth may be mandatory. Eg. for a Williamson style amp - the layout-layout-layout mantra should mean no use of shielded cable.

A shielded cable run still needs to be as far as practical from any disturbance field as possible, with the shield mainly attenuating pickup from any nearby high voltage signals (eg. mains AC, output stage driver and plate, heater and output wiring). The typical applications I use it for are to connect valve socket nodes to front panel pots, and output signal feedback.

For guitar type applications, I just recycle my now unused collection of RCA/video/scart shielded cables. Even then the cable length may become a concern. If you are keen, it can be worth measuring the capacitance of interconnect cables, as capacitance per length can vary quite a bit - and just use the lower capacitance/length cables.

I rarely would use the shield for a ground path, and if you're concerned about tidiness or stray screen strands, then some heatshrink over the un-connected end of the shield may appease.

I would not normally contemplate shielding any signal line that was above DC ground, and especially output stage screen and plate signals - they would require a good understanding of many aspects of the cable you would need to use.

Last edited:
Mixi it would be good to post how everything worked out for you.

I’ve found it to be good practice after asking the forum for guidance to post updates, photos, preferences etc. to 1. Help others who come upon the thread who are in a similar boat 2. Make those who have contributed feel their input has made a difference.

Mixi it would be good to post how everything worked out for you.

I’ve found it to be good practice after asking the forum for guidance to post updates, photos, preferences etc. to 1. Help others who come upon the thread who are in a similar boat 2. Make those who have contributed feel their input has made a difference.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for reminding me. Unfortunately so far I've only had time to try the Mogami 2330. I'll post my impressions and findings as soon as I've worked with the other cables I ordered. I hope to find time for it next week.

Thanks for your help so far,
Michi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.