Inspiration topic - alternatives to painting or veneering your cabinet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another find : this german page with help on building concrete speaker cabinets; again, Google Translate might help.

Hifi-Boxen aus Beton | Alle Bilder | selbst.de

That’s a great build guide for concrete enclosures, wish I had found that before I started my project! I essentially followed this procedure with a few minor differences. Here’s a slice video of a few of the steps , I have an easy way of removing the styrofoam plug GoPro Splice

That’s a great build guide for concrete enclosures, wish I had found that before I started my project! I essentially followed this procedure with a few minor differences. Here’s a slice video of a few of the steps , I have an easy way of removing the styrofoam plug GoPro Splice

Avoid using headphones while polishing your concrete as seen in one of the pics in the Splice video :bigeyes:

I got this same message on Google Chrome but works fine on IE, if not could try this: Usually caused by a firewall blocking your access. On IE you can try: Go to "Internet Options" > "Security" > "Internet" > choose "Custom Level" and scroll down to "Miscellaneous". One of the options should be "Access data sources across domain" - set this to "Enable".

Wow,how about these Fern & Roby Beam speakers..?

The only thing that worries me is that they are made of solid wood, so Im wondering whether the wood would start to work / move after some time...?

Attachments

• Beam-Tower-Speakers-by-Fern-Roby-4.jpg
    Beam-Tower-Speakers-by-Fern-Roby-4.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 193
  • myturn3.jpg
    myturn3.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 181
  • tumblr_oqklu5vsEw1t056m3o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oqklu5vsEw1t056m3o1_1280.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 195
  • tumblr_o2weotFGMt1t056m3o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o2weotFGMt1t056m3o1_1280.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Those are beauties, ya might be worried about warping over time. Could use my dug-out canoe building skills to bang out a pair!

Well, their Tower speakers sell for $9500 so you might be able to make some cash on the side ;)
I think the Beams were $4500-ish if I remember correctly.. and as far as I can see you're paying for the craftsmanship, I don't think they're using very special drivers. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Tower Speakers |
Fern & Roby

Last edited:
I have mostly covered my boxes in very thin carpet, as it is easy to work with and covers a multitude of sins.
Marshall usually use Tolex.

This gets my preferred option vote.
Not too thin.. the stuff on Peavey PA boxes is yuck.

What I've found and intend to use on a pair of Cerwin Vega D8 , having removed the poxy vinyl 'wood grain horror, is marine carpet / car carpet.

This stuff isn't constructed a backing layer the pile threads are stitched into, rather a massing of short polymer threads heat fused on the glue down base side.

Constructed this way it goes around corner edges easily without exposing the backing. Go shop and try bending a sample piece at 90 degrees in both direction and you understand the traditional 'woven' carpet problem.

The material I have is mainly black with a random blue threads.... all black is common. About 5mm thick.

Front face I plan to use 5mm thick Closed Cell Neoprene foam sheet. JBL used this stuff on some cabinets in the 80's.

All this material [carpet and rubber] is stuck down using 'contact adhesive'. Big pieces on this so a 2 person job lining it up [contact is not very forgiving].
Corner caps finish the only edge joins at front.

So, 1 long strip piece of carpet around base,top and sides [join at base in middle]... rolled around front & rear edge 20mm... front face foam butting to carpet edge.... rear a small carpet piece butting to rolled side pieces. 100% no hard exterior surfaces.

I reckon this is an easier, better and quicker means of finish than say paint or veneer. Heaven forbid anyone use that fake vinyl timber rubbish.

The only contradiction to this is...
cats or stinky greasy dogs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.