Glue for plastic to plastic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on replacing the burned out incandescent pilot lights in a '70's receiver with white LED's. Obviously, the mounting technique of the old bulbs will not work for the LED's.

I think I would just like to use a soft glue and plastic washer to hold the LED to the plastic where the bulb had been. Need something that should not harm the original plastic, and should cover gaps.

I'm thinking hot glue might damage the plastic, and epoxy might be so strong as to cause damage if the LED had to be repaired. I think silicone would do the trick, but thought I would ask the question in case there's something better.

Different application of silicone; this is more like the potting material used for use in protecting electronics in extreme vibration and moisture, is advertised as an adhesive/sealant.
Cheap and is at most hardware or car parts stores, where a high temperature version with iron oxide is available.

Hot melt isn’t very robust and will release after absorbing the moisture from the ambient air, not good for non-porous surfaces. Great for temporary holiday decorations though, but best left out of anything that plugs into the wall!

ok, I was talking the two part RTV silicone you get at your local hardware store. The stuff you use for making brush-on type molds. I guess you are talking something I am not familiar with.

As far as hot melts, I have not run into moisture release concerns unless you are talking an ill prepared surface or a substrate that can absorb moisture causing the release from that side of things.

I have xo boards that go back many years and I can't think of one hot melt that has failed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.