PCB mounting to chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wanted to share another technique of mine currently in the works..
Using tabs routed on the PCB edges to fit into the sides of the chassis. This particular chassis is the MINI 3U from the DIY store.
So far really good results!

20180414_204428.jpg

I hope you still use a screw or two to keep things from rattling around inside the enclosure.

Seems like not too long ago the quick-turn short run PCB fabricators insisted on doing only simple, rectangular, outlines. Now I think they will do any complex outline you can define in a Gerber file, without extra charge. And some will even do internal cutouts, slots, etc. This should open up all kinds of possibilities for creative mechanical designs.

Dale

It's actually about as good as I could have imagined. My holes are slightly oversized so that it WILL fit without much hassle. There's just a touch of play for expansion etc.. and if I do at all, i'll add a dab of silicone to each hole where the tabs are when it's all done. On the back panel, I intend to have the speaker connectors attached to the panel and the screw end inside attached to a pair of lugs each, this will be about it for mechanical connectors. Too many and they may fight each other during different temperature changes etc.. So I figure the speaker connectors sharing the rear panel will suffice, however, I am really pleased with how this is going without any screws etc.. BTW, I had these boards done by ELECROW for cost reasons and am so far, well well pleased with the results. Not one issue or being contacted for anything for 3 different board runs. This main board in the image is 2OZ 2side 2mm using black mask, gold immersion. Loving it so far. They're exactly what I wanted and precise to this project.

Side note..
The transistor mounting screws to the heatsink are aligned between the fins so that one can drill straight through the heatsink and feed the transistor mounting screw from, between the fins, outside-in. I am using a smaller hex head and they clear nicely!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.