Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Removing SMD components; masking
Removing SMD components; masking
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2018, 11:18 PM   #1
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Removing SMD components; masking

I am preparing to remove a pair of smd clocks, and was going to flood them with solder and remove them. The potential issue is that there are some very small capacitors nearby that would be best left if possible.

Has anyone successfully used a masking scheme to prevent any solder from disturbing nearby parts?

Painters tape would even work, any residue removed using a mild solvent, or alcohol.
Old 14th April 2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Refugee1 is offline Refugee1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If they are not going to be used again just cut the chip off the pins and then heat each pin and pick it off.
Old 15th April 2018, 02:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That would be the best solution if it were an IC, with tiny legs. However, this is a tcxo with the pads underneath, so it is soldered face-to-face, directly onto the pads on the circuit board.
Thanks though for the response.
I may give it a try later on some dead usb input boards...
Old 15th April 2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

You can remove solder as much as possible with unsolder wire.
Then heat the pins on one side with a soldering iron and lift one side of the IC off.
Old 15th April 2018, 02:30 PM   #5
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Swamp with plenty of flux and heat the chip, evenly, with a hot air gun. Lift the chip off when soluble.
It is a bit like the poor man's BGA chip. Heat through the chip, (heat the board underside to around 120C) that will avoid stressing the board.
NOT too hot!!!!!
Baco foil (kitchen foil) with a hole cut in it stops direct heat to adjacent components.
Old 15th April 2018, 04:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the feedback, I think I may have some adhesive backed foil here as well. I will try it on my scrap board...
Good idea to warm the board also to help prevent the traces/layers from delaminating, or overheating from the top.
Old 16th April 2018, 12:26 AM   #7
horst303 is offline horst303  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruskerfuerst View Post
You can remove solder as much as possible with unsolder wire.
Then heat the pins on one side with a soldering iron and lift one side of the IC off.
I've found is that if you add solder, rather than remove it, it will stay fluid longer, giving you more time to melt the other side, which is the idea behind chipquik after all.
I would be worried that if you lift one side of a chip that you might rip off the pads on the other side.
Old 16th April 2018, 02:20 AM   #8
Refugee1 is offline Refugee1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If it is a can and it is not to be used again I would get a small modeling type power tool and cut the can away and then carefully make cuts in the base of the can so that the bits can be lifted away taking one pin each with them.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:04 AM   #9
rmaudio is offline rmaudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Take a look at teh Chip Quick products to see if might be appropriate

http://cpc.farnell.com/w/search/prl/...rand=chip-quik

2. For masking consider Polyimide (Kapton) tape
Old 17th April 2018, 11:14 AM   #10
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
there are some very small capacitors nearby that would be best left if possible.
I you really want remove any capacitors with through holes pins or any two contacts SMD components without hot air, take a look at this very usefull iron
GORDAK 902 ESD SMD Soldering Tweezer Repair Rework Station Electric heating pliers Constant temperature heating tweezers 220V-in Soldering Stations from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Removing SMD components; maskingHide this!Advertise here!