Help Mounting Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Hi-Fi 2000 case with a baseplate. I have a toroidal transformer I need to mount, which will fit when lying horizontally. What is the best way to mount it? I noticed that the transformer vibrates when powered and am concerned that if it is mounted to the baseplate that the power supply and amplifier boards will be constantly vibrating.

Should I put a solid spacer below the baseplate so that transformer is more rigidly attached to the chassis? Can anybody who has mounted a transformer on a baseplate chime in with what worked for them?

Thanks in advance.

If the transformer is vibrating, then floating would work better than rigidly attached. But the transformer should be mounted safely to the chassis so perhaps you should eliminate vibrations in the first place? If the transforner is big - say over 300VA - then it might needs a mains DC offset block to keep it quiet.

Whatever else you do, if you mount it with a center bolt, make sure the bolt does not touch both top and bottom chassis covers. The metal chassis and bolt form a one-turn secondary on the transformer, one that is a dead short. The transformer will not be happy. MAke the bolt short enough not to reach the top lid.

Whatever else you do, if you mount it with a center bolt, make sure the bolt does not touch both top and bottom chassis covers. The metal chassis and bolt form a one-turn secondary on the transformer, one that is a dead short. The transformer will not be happy. MAke the bolt short enough not to reach the top lid.

OK, I had not considered that at all. That makes sense. I will definitely make sure that the bolt doesn't touch both sides of the chassis. Thank you for the information.

Thanks to the others who responded as well.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.