Cleanly unsolder and remove a 2x20 pin header?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I made a little HAT PCB for the Raspberry Pi (see this thread for more details). Since the fab sent me more boards than I actually needed, I decided to build them all up for others who are interested in this design.

Unfortunately, on one of the boards, I had a total brain lapse and soldered the 2x20 pin header on backwards. See attached pic: that header circled in orange should be on the bottom of the board, not the top. Yes, I managed to solder all 40 pins before realizing my mistake! :eek:

I have tried to soak up all the excess solder with solder wick. It looks fairly "clean" to me. But clearly there is still some solder that I'm unable to wick up. And with 40 solder points, it only takes a couple to keep the whole thing stuck.

I don't want to force it, as I'm afraid I'll rip up the PCB traces. The board is good otherwise, it would be a shame to waste it.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might get that guy off?

Thanks!

Attachments

• unlucky_number_7.jpg
    unlucky_number_7.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 327
Hey Matt, saw this in the 1387.

If you don't care about the header (and I assume you don't) just use cutters and chop the plastic up every 2-4 sections and remove those one at a time.

As well, pin headers will slide through the plastic base when heated. So just heat up a single pin and then grab it from the top with pliers and give it a forceful tug.

Good luck,
Cheers,
Jeff

Get a solder sucker! They're great for things like this, and for me at least usually get a pin moving freely in a couple seconds.

There's a bit of knack with a solder sucker.
Heat up soldered joint then remove iron quickly.
Place solder sucker over molten solder at "90 degrees" to the board and press button. If you aren't at 90 degrees the vacuum will disappear around the solder sucker tip. The idea is to suck out solder from the via too.

If you don't care about the header (and I assume you don't) just use cutters and chop the plastic up every 2-4 sections and remove those one at a time.

As well, pin headers will slide through the plastic base when heated. So just heat up a single pin and then grab it from the top with pliers and give it a forceful tug.

Good luck,
Cheers,
Jeff

I use this method too. Just wet the connector (after flush cutter dicing) with fresh solder, med-hi heat 780 and heat the backside , if done correct they fall out. I do two or four pins max per step.

Good luck,
Cheers,
Jeff

Best way to save the board...headers are cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.