JBL enclosure design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for tips to build a enclosure with a design similar to JBL's Charge 3 (this one):

maxresdefault.jpg

It has a semi-cylindrical structure with two speakers on the flat side and two membranes on the ends.

I've made a few tries using a 100mm PVC pipe and using two 4'' speaker cones in the ends as membranes (they fit perfectly on the ends of the pipe)

I've made two 75mm circular cuts on the side and fitted two segments of 75mm PVC pipes to mount two JBL speakers I have (They're actually Samsung speakers, but they came from a old JBL stereo PC sound system, they used Samsung speakers at the time)

In the beggining, of course, I didn't expect it to be tuned or anything, I just played around with it by adding mass to either the speaker cones or the membranes to see if I got to tune it.

But, although I got both the speakers and membranes to have a great amplitude of movement with bass frequencies, it would still be very quiet compared to greater frequencies.

It didn't even got close to the sound of the original enclosures, being that they don't even have a good bass response (it's only loud until 80~70Hz)

I'm thinking of buying a pair of 10W speakers so I can have a greater power, but before, I want to know:

Is this design too complicated to get working?

If I could buy speakers with known thiele/small parameters (they almost never have), would the calculations for this kind of enclosure be too complicated?

Note that I'm almost forced to use a 100mm pipe, because I'd have trouble making membranes for a smaller diameter pipe, 4'' are the smaller speaker cones I have here.

The things I can easily change are: The length of the pipe, the mass of the membranes, the mass of the speaker cones and maybe the suspension of the membranes (I can double it to make it stronger).

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.