Durable, "Pebble" finish?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of a durable "pebble" finish that a home builder can use?

I'm looking to replicate the pebbly black finish found on many professional products, such as touring loudspeakers.

I'd also prefer a 2-part paint in a rattle can, if possible. I do have good spray equipment, but cleaning out 2-part epoxy paint is not y idea of fun.

I was about to order Eastwood's 2K paint:
Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray™ Ceramic Chassis Black

- but then I realized it was a smooth finish, and so would not match my other gear.

So, any ideas?

Well, I think you couldn't beat truck bed liner - I've used the professionally-applied version (hot sprayed, 2-component gun-mixed, I believe some kind of urethane), and it's really "tough as nails". For a home builder, there's the DIY version (I've used Hippo-Liner brand) which is (was?) 2 component, and applied with a texture roller. Certainly not as good as the pro stuff, but - for what it's worth - I've used it on a plywood yard trailer, and that has been out in the weather for a lot of years and still looks pretty good. Oh - I think you can also get the DIY stuff in a tintable base to colour match your truck (or speaker cabinets!). We can get this stuff at Canadian Tire stores; your local automotive supply store should have it as well. Worth a look?

That's the look for sure, but it's not available in the USA.

From what I've now read, it appears to be virtually identical to Duratex, so I'm going to try that on some scrap wood.

I really like the idea of a 2-part paint, applied with a structured roller, but I can't find any that would e guaranteed to work. Since several of you like Warnex, I feel pretty good about the Duratex.

I ordered some Duratex, (Thoman has to ship Warnex from the UK, so it's rather expensive)
- so I'll let you guys know how it works out, in a few weeks.

I think I'll go with the Eastwood 2-part (2K) rattle cans for my metal grills. They tend to get nicked more, and they would obviously look better with a smooth finish.

thanks, guys.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.