Dynamat inside the box speaker experiences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that Dynamat - and similar products - are mainly intended to dampen resonances of metal surfaces in auto installs. In that regard, I've certainly found them to work very well indeed. Note that the products on Reckhorn site are clearly described for damping in cars (trucks)

As for making a birch plywood box stiffer, it's been my experience that the material is inherently quite stiff- certainly as compared to MDF - but if you think more is required, strategic bracing between panels can help, and needn't be extreme.

Of course the next question raised would be exactly what performance parameter you're looking to optimize by stiffening, and good like finding consensus on priorities, or on the methods / materials to achieve them.

Just a quick thought. By adding roofing material or Dynamat (in layers) you are not adding stiffness. You are adding mass without stiffness and that is the idea. Thin Plywood works well since it is stiff for it’s thickness but not so stiff (like 3/4”) that the resonance is up in the midrange where it can be heard easily.

The extra mass does not change the frequency but it will smear them out and lower the amplitude. Lowering the amplitude is what you are doing and why it works.

As above you can add multiple layers of Dynamat or similar. Or use few layers of thicker material. I have used RAAM mat since I had a lot of it. It works fine in layers. I would suggest 3-4 layers depending on the size of the box. On a bookshelf size I used 3 layers on the sides on a two on the very small top and bottom.

Hi, I wanted to tell you my experience on the sound-absorbing material.
in a closed box I replaced the polyester I had previously used, with pure carded wool with long fibers.
The change has been remarkable, now the box no longer booms, as if it were full, with the use of only 50 grams of wool for each cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.