Portable Hifi Carpentry Box Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is my first foray into DIY sound system building, and I don’t come from an electronics background, but I do work in IT.

I am building a portable sound system that I will be fitting into a carpentry tool box. I will be using a high quality dust and splash proof single stereo speaker, connected to a small lower power Bluetooth amp.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

s-l225.jpg

The completed unit will be powered by either 1 , or if required 2, Makita batteries. I have chosen these so that I can power it wherever I go, and not have to take any additional batteries, or require a mains supply.

What I need to understand is , what do I need to convert the power from a battery to the amp?

$_3.JPG

I have taken out the section that the battery slots into out of a power tool. This converts/presents me with two cables.

07113914ae61f58830f7c02ee38dbfcf_preview_featured.jpg

I have seen a Drok mini Bluetooth amp which has the following spec.

I am open to recommendations for a equal, or better quality amp.
AMP SPEC (Just copied off their site)
Channel: 2 channel
Output rated power: 50W × 2
Input Interface: Bluetooth, USB sound card, AUX
Operating mode: Button
Input voltage: DC9V-24V
Input current: 3A (min.)
Dimensions (Excluding protrusions): 80 × 53 ×22mm (3.15 × 2.09 × 0.87 inches) (W×D×H)
Weight: 105 grams (0.231 pounds)
Voltage × Ampere=Watt, e.g. 12V×5A=60W, the min. power of the power supply should be higher than 50W. If the power is cut off while the module is using, it means the power of the power supply is too small, please change another power supply with larger power or turn down the volume to use.

The Makita Battery Spec
Model : BL1830
18V
3.0Ah
54Wh

If any of you guys could provide me with any advice or guidance, even just pointing me in the direction of an article, or other post, I would be eternally grateful.

As you noticed, 18Vx3Ah = 54W, which does meet the minimum of 50W specified for the Drok unit.

Amazon.com: DROK 50W+50W Dual Channel Stereo Amplifier, DC 9-24V 12V Mini Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Amplifier Car Home, HIFI Audio Receiver Amp Ampli Module with US-type Power Supply Adapter, Built-in EMI Filter: Home Audio & Theater

I would say hook it up - you should be good to go. If not, you can get a 4, 5, and even a 6Ah battery that will also fit your connector.

Your battery will deliver more than 3 amps - it just delivers it for a shorter time than, for example, 2 amps. That's what the 'Ah' means.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.