Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Screw & Glue Vs. Clamping?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2018, 09:59 PM   #61
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

It is confusing, probably what you would call particle board, like this Particle board - Wikipedia it comes in various densities though, some has smaller particles and is very hard
Old 15th January 2018, 10:56 PM   #62
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

As our Welsh friend alludes, PB goes by numerous names, and like MDF it does range in quality.

We're currently working on a large volume commercial project for paneling and closet / office cabinets for a high-end condo project. The bulk of the project is in a fumed Eucalyptus veneer, sheets are 7ft x 8ft, and produced in Ecuador. Pretty enough face veneers - if rather dark - but the substrate is the worst non veneer core crap we've ever seen in the shop - smaller particles than OSB flakeboard, but the internal integrity is horrible once any machining made for dadoes, etc. Let's assume close to the standard 45lbs /ft^3 - a 3/4" sheet will weigh just under 160lbs, and those are architectural grade face veneers, so handling onto the beam saw and CNC, then several further production and finishing steps is "interesting"
Old 16th January 2018, 04:36 AM   #63
almstsobur is offline almstsobur  United States
diyAudio Member

Couple pics attached. Still waiting on tweeters and a few more crossover parts. Baffle is drying, so done for tonight, and work tomorrow Might be the weekend before it's finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180115_173644-1344x756.jpg (201.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180115_173620-1344x756.jpg (222.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180115_173706-1075x605.jpg (169.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 16th January 2018, 06:16 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Do you guys break-in your drivers before instalation? I've got a frequency generator and plenty of amps, thinking about doing some break-in during my holding pattern. If you do break them in, what percentage of RMS power? How long? Do you fluctuate frequency, or just run at resonant frequency? Any point in tweeter break-in?

Thank You.
Old 16th January 2018, 06:54 AM   #65
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Despite some saying you should hit them hard, they should be played at low levels with varying source. I use a radio station and put at least 200 hrs on drivers before i start really breaking them in with real-world use.

An artifical signal can give the spider in particular a “bad memory”.

dave
Old 16th January 2018, 06:57 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave. I'm just going install and listen, keep the power moderate for a while. That's what I've always done with new purchased speakers anyway.
Old 25th January 2018, 12:48 PM   #67
Joel Wesseling is offline Joel Wesseling  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, various qualities of sheet goods available.

I don't purchase sheets from HD or Lowe's anymore.

Uniboard and Columbia Forest Products are two good names for MDF and Particle.

For a wall-to-wall TV cabinet, I used 3/4" Ultracore. Its a softwood plywood with thin layer of MDF on both surfaces. Plywood is light, stable, strong and hold screws really well. Surfaces are excellent for painting.
Old 25th January 2018, 05:10 PM   #68
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

+1 to the Ultracore / Procore types of products - although they're not as widely available through big-box chain stores - you'll need to check around for suppliers to the commercial trades
Old 24th February 2018, 01:28 PM   #69
chiily is offline chiily  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've used biscuits and a biscuit joiner to make perfect, strong butt joints in MDF. Easy to get right with a little practice.
Old 24th February 2018, 03:04 PM   #70
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Wood products from Canada is like coffee and cigars from the Dominican Republic!

The key to the laminated products is to get both sides treated the same, donít do that and the risk of warping is way higher.

My speakers are in therapy to help them with their bad memories...

Screw & Glue Vs. Clamping?Hide this!Advertise here!