Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Reusing old chassis -filling holes on frontplate
Reusing old chassis -filling holes on frontplate
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2017, 12:39 AM   #11
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

With great care you can cut a rectangular hole in a thin piece of aluminum by hand. Match your blank panel to the face and using a scribe or sharp tipped knife trace on the back the edges of the hole. Now just keep running a sharp razor knife over the lines until it cuts all the way through to the front.
Old 20th December 2017, 12:49 AM   #12
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy1995 View Post
Yes, I was thinking about putting new piece of aluminium over the existing frontplate.
But than I would need someone with cnc or something to cut rectangular holes for potentiometers
and power switch if I want them to look nice or I will replace power switch and potentiometers with
round ones, but I would realy like to keep them
Front Panel Express: Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service: Home
Old 20th December 2017, 03:39 AM   #13
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy1995 View Post
...cut rectangular holes for potentiometers and power switch...
They are switch/sliders, and look good as is.

You just want to fill the center, and cover some labels (or re-label them with fake functions).

BTW: _I_ love the "Nikola Tesla" logo. Maybe not so impressive when used as a brand-name on a local-market cassette deck, but Nikola watches over all of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diy1995-3.jpg (164.3 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by PRR; 20th December 2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 31st December 2017, 11:10 AM   #14
K.A.B is offline K.A.B  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have used old chassis for years. I started using metal as a front, but now I use different types of wood, which I think is more fun and easier to work with.

Right now I'm making a preamp with oak in the front and signal selector and volume knob in ebenholtz.

Anders
Old 31st December 2017, 03:44 PM   #15
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.B View Post
Right now I'm making a preamp with oak in the front and signal selector and volume knob in ebenholtz.
How do you cope with the thickness?
Old 31st December 2017, 08:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

How do you mean?

Oak front is 12mm thick and I screw the front from inside I let the axel for the selector pass thru the oak and for volume i got an extension. Some times i hade to glue wood on the backside of the front to get it flush with the cover.

Anders
Old 31st December 2017, 08:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Sorry I wasn't specific. You guessed what I meant, mounting of controls, switches etc that are designed for thinner panels, I wondered whether you rebated from behind or used sub panel etc
Old 1st January 2018, 12:01 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I understand, if I can I use existing metal sometime there are subfront in some chassis often i fabricate mounts etc whatever i need.

I use different ways to build depending on how the existing chassis looks, some may be reinforced before I begin to build.

Picture maybe? Have too be in the morning I have get in bed after all fireworks has ended now.

Anders

Last edited by K.A.B; 1st January 2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, pictures would be interesting. Midnight here now, happy new year, nos da (good night)

Reusing old chassis -filling holes on frontplateHide this!Advertise here!