Tips for soldering coaxial cable to PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone:

I'm trying to replace the standard input wires I used for my Chipamp.com LM3886 boards with some shielded coaxial cable I have here. I'm

I'm not quite clear, and I couldn't find much on the Web on how to solder these things onto the board pads (both physically and electronically). Do you try to solder the center conductor as close as possible to the board? How do you prevent more sheathing from unravelling once you've soldered the sheathing down. Do people use some sort of heatshrink or sleeving for this?

Electronically, some websites suggest you should only solder down the sheathing at one end? How does that complete a circuit to make sound? Is this the right or wrong way to do it?

Thanks

Joined 2011
I couldn't find much on the Web on how to solder these things onto the board pads (both physically
and electronically). Do you try to solder the center conductor as close as possible to the board?

Try to keep the loop between the center conductor and the twisted shield as small as possible.
The foam dielectric will tend to melt when soldering, so bend the cable to relieve stress before
soldering. The best method is a pcb mount socket, and a cable with a connector installed.
BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector | TriangleCables.com

I like the PCB pins idea a lot. How do I know what size/shape to buy? Do I got buy pad size? Hole size?

Rayma: Why is it a good idea to keep the center conductor and the sheathing close to each other? How do I do that and keep each one insulated from the other without a ton of trouble/work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.