Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

DIY pot ganging
DIY pot ganging
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2017, 09:41 AM   #1
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default DIY pot ganging

Has anyone ganged pots for multiamp systems? What methods are there? I'm thinking of using toothed pulleys and belts, for example: 5.08mm Pitch 6mm Bore 13 Tooth Flanged Synchronous Timing Belt Pulley XL13 | eBay
Thoughts/recommendations please........
Old 1st December 2017, 09:59 AM   #2
levistubby is offline levistubby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott.
How many channels are you thinking of??

If I needed to do it, I would first look at direct gearing together. Two pots (on opposite side of the drive cog) need to be mounted front to front for the same rotation direction.

I have seen pictures of geared/belt driven pots in the past but can't remember if it was on this forum.

The problem with any arrangement is the amount of space that it takes up.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:12 AM   #3
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Linear slider pots (faders) as used in mixing desks are relatively easy to gang up with a bar to connect the sliding part together so they all move as one. I am in the process of constructing such a beast myself, with a motor, belt, pulleys, and so on for remote control.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Levi, only 4 channels so could be done the way you suggest, I hadn't thought of that, thanks. Space isn't too much of an issue, though it seems to me it would require a long extension to fit a control knob, though again, not a problem. I'm interested to know why you think it would be better than pully and belt?
Old 1st December 2017, 10:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Johnny. That's an alternative, can you post some pictures of work in progress please?
Old 1st December 2017, 11:04 AM   #6
chalky is offline chalky
diyAudio Member

I had Omeg make me a small quantity of 4 gang pots about 10yrs ago. The price was very reasonable but I have no idea whether they still do this.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have just bought a 3D printer, and the idea is to print the fixing brackets. I need to get my head round 3D modelling software first. I could have used nylon cord like the old radio tuning dials which would have been cheaper, but I got a toothed belt and pulleys. I have one linear track for position feedback along with the Alps logarithmic slimline faders.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I dismantled some Alps blue pots with the idea of turning a suitably long shaft to connect all the wipers, but my friend with a lathe is too busy to turn it. This, too, could work, with spacers to hold the wiper holders in position.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I've a motorised blue Alps and a black beauty that I'm planning to couple... I'm hoping the motor would drive them both
Old 1st December 2017, 11:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky View Post
I had Omeg make me a small quantity of 4 gang pots about 10yrs ago. The price was very reasonable but I have no idea whether they still do this.
That's a thought, I've used their green eco pots, and I think they still will make up specials to order

DIY pot gangingHide this!Advertise here!