Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Russ Andrews "Zapperator" circuit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2017, 02:14 PM   #11
Britain4 is offline Britain4
diyAudio Member

Yep I’ve found some step by step instructions on how to make an equivalent device for a few quid linked a few pages back, I might even have the parts laying around to build one.

The adjustable one is an excellent idea! Every time I ask a question on here the upshot is “why not try it with a scope” so I really think I need to get myself one! I was just going to build one to the specs in the DIY link but experimenting with different values would certainly be interesting.

I don’t know why I seem to enjoy building these mostly useless things, perhaps purely because he charges so much for them and I find it satisfying building them and reaping whatever minute benefits they may bring for a fraction of the cost
Old 19th October 2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

A skilled EE with plenty of experience on circuit simulators, could reverse engineer the Zappinator from the "white paper" on Russ Andrews' website pdf here. Expect to be charged for about 4 hours of consulting time, times roughly GBP 150 per hour. If you can find nine other people to split the cost, each of you gets Zappinators for less than what Russ Andrews charges.
Old 19th October 2017, 03:03 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
A skilled EE with plenty of experience on circuit simulators, could reverse engineer the Zappinator from the "white paper" on Russ Andrews' website pdf here. Expect to be charged for about 4 hours of consulting time, times roughly GBP 150 per hour. If you can find nine other people to split the cost, each of you gets Zappinators for less than what Russ Andrews charges.
This is true, alternatively one could split the cost of one “Zapperator” between a few people and then dismantle and copy it...
Old 19th October 2017, 03:55 PM   #14
C37 is offline C37  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Britain4, have a look here: 6moons audio reviews: OCOS & Enacom
Old 19th October 2017, 03:56 PM   #15
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britain4 View Post
because he charges so much for them
If he didn't, no one would buy them. They cost a fair penny, they must be good, right?
Old 19th October 2017, 04:57 PM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The wonderful and imaginative Russ Andrews white paper tells us that the Zapperator has wires with "measurably low directivity". That is a relief, given how seriously directional ordinary wires are!

Having quickly scanned the paper, my guess is that the Zapperator is not a Zobel but a something slightly more complex - maybe LCR rather than CR. Much of the paper is just FUD and creative writing. People will expect to get this; you have to get something for your money!
Old 19th October 2017, 05:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
If he didn't, no one would buy them. They cost a fair penny, they must be good, right?
Haha exactly, they're "reassuringly expensive"!

Ooh thanks for the review, that's quite interesting reading actually, perhaps they might give some small benefit after all?

Yes I did wonder if they might be something slightly more complex than a simple Zobel network but all the other similar devices I have found are just a cap and resistor, and I found one reference to someone who had tried an inductor but scoped it and found no measurable benefit so left it out.

I couldn't find anything in the "white paper" other than marketing fluff either well, he isn't lying when he says its lack of directionality is measurable then because that applies to every piece of wire on the planet!
Old 19th October 2017, 05:12 PM   #18
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Now just copying someone else's snake oil is hardly the DIYaudio way. It would be lot more fun to do as Mark suggests and actually make something better. But first you have to have a problem to solve.

Ah, I see these are another Ben Duncan thing (he of AMP01 fame). That explains a lot. RF / Noise Reduction - Page 1 - British Audio Products Online are some more of his.

Last edited by billshurv; 19th October 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 19th October 2017, 05:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Now just copying someone else's snake oil is hardly the DIYaudio way. It would be lot more fun to do as Mark suggests and actually make something better. But first you have to have a problem to solve.

Ah, I see these are another Ben Duncan thing (he of AMP01 fame). That explains a lot. RF / Noise Reduction - Page 1 - British Audio Products Online are some more of his.
No don't get me wrong I'm not interested in just producing an exact clone of the product, just taking inspiration from the idea and producing something that works in a similar way.

I am actually quite keen to try that out - and if I find a value that works better then I can always make some with that fixed resistor value (although again difficult without a scope)
Old 19th October 2017, 05:43 PM   #20
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Have you thought about playing (sorry experimenting) with ferrite beads?

Russ Andrews "Zapperator" circuitHide this!Advertise here!