Old radio -> bluetooth speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i recently started to look in to DIY speakerbuilding after i found a old radio at my old grandparents house. It is not working and i dont know much about radio circuts. So i was thinking about renovate it and build it to a bluetooth speaker to my dad as a christmas present, so he can have it as a memory of his parents.

I want it to sound really good and not make it to complicated as i have no experience in this field. But i have an idea on how i will do it, but i propably need some guidance if this is any good and tips from you guys.

Plan:
I thought about building a sealed build as this seemed to be the easiest way. So i would seal the back with some wood and have a low frequency driver in the back and a higher frequency driver where the old speaker was. And i was hoping the original potiometers will work.

Questions:
Is my plan ok or is it stupid? i ask cuase i have no experience in the field.
If it will work is it anything i should look out for?
And last, will the old potiometers work on a new system (If they are ok ofc.)?

Every answer and tip will be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Picture of the radio: (It got a little streched in the uploading)
_741192819.jpg

Sketch of py plans:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Determine if your dad places a lot of sentimental value in the radio in its original condition, before you hack it up. Maybe someone here (not me) can assist in getting it working?
Use only a full range driver for the front.
Save the knobs and find new suitable pots that fit the knob.

Well i dont think he have that much sentimental value of it working like it is supose to do, more just about the looks of it. I know that if it was just a radio it would have been standeing there collecting dust, cause he really dont listen to radio. But he uses the little music angel i gave him ALOT, for music and speeches. So i was thinking it will be better to give him something he would use every day.

Thanks for tips, i didnt want to do this yet to this piece for the first time so i bougth a broken Radioetta and doing that first for my self. only one problem after i cracket it open i found out that the speaker units was oval shaped. And i have trouble finding matching ones. Any tips?

Speaker dim:
28 cm long side
18 cm on the short

those measurements are total including frame? sounds like a 6x9 speaker, have you looked at car audio speakers? most of those would not require a sealed cabinet.
the one your planning for dad what size and shape are the speakers?

Thanks alot for the tip, suddenly it became alot easier to find drivers! When you say «would not require a sealed cabinet» will the sound quality be better if i Seal it or would it just be a waste of time?

Also i found these drivers, anyone got a experience or tip of witch i should buy?
http://bassbrothers.no/bilstereo/bilhoyttalere?sort_193=217&page_193=1#{"Størrelse":["6x9\""]}

(Its in Norwegian, but the specs and the important stuff is readable)

sorry not sure what your looking at as the link puts me on a page with several different drivers and i'm not sure what your looking at.
the Q of most car audio drivers is what allows them to produce bass in a non sealed enclosure(car doors and trunks are vented if they weren't your ears would hurt every time you shut the door) so sealing the cab would be an exercise in wasting time.
aperiodic enclosures or lossy sealed is what your after.

Thanks again! I was wondering witch one of the sevral options i should pick, but i think i settled with these:
Ground Zero GZRF 69AL - Bass Brothers

Now i need some help geting an amp for these, here i have really no clue what to get. I won't just go to ebay and get a random amp cause i have no idea what to look after. Could someone link me e decent amp? bluetooth integrated into the amp would be nice but are not a must.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.