Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

My first stereo PA
My first stereo PA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2017, 09:54 AM   #11
Elerion is offline Elerion  Spain
diyAudio Member

Finished!
The amp sounds wonderful. Clean, and no hum or noise whatsoever.
I painted after making drills, but before mounting components.
After several weeks, the paint is still in place. There're a few little scrathches, probably made while mounting things and working on the soldering, exposing a very tiny area (less than 1 mm size) of aluminium (or primer). It could be painted again with a fine brush.
Definitely not perfect. It has to be treated with some care. But the paint procedure I used seems like a reasonable alternative to more complex or expensive ones.

My next project is going to be using a steel chassis, though. Never worked neither painted steel before. I expect a much harder to work material (drilling is not of concern to me, but cutting definitely is) and easier to paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted_finished.JPG (427.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 14th November 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Yes, compared to Aluminum, steel will be a bitch to fabricate by hand. Any commercial powder coaters nearby? For either material, I've found the extra few bucks over the raw cost of material for aerosol paint products is easily justified by the reduced prep time, and durability of finish. The local shop I use pre-washes to remove any residues that could impede adhesion, and they have a great range of stock colors and textures.

My first stereo PAHide this!Advertise here!