Building my first RCA switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
N00b here, so please be nice ;)

I would like to try and build a nice looking RCA switch to connect all my gear, Preferrably 1 in to 10 out. Some thought/ideas I picked up during the search sofar.

- is 1 tot 10 out possible with one rotary switch? (with enough poles to avoid cross-signals or problems), any links?
- high quality rca's (neutrik-Rean rca gold plated connectors)
- passive box (I would like to build it in wood)
- nice - massive- looking rotary switch

not looking for links to cheap ready to use 'save the trouble' units. This is both a project to learn easy electronic (soldering) and to get a nice looking wooden unit.

Once it is built, the size of the switch shouldn't matter, you can make the knob as big and massive as you like.

Please define this a little better. One in ten out. What sort of source has ten different destinations to chose from? What might those destinations be? Are all the items connected to expecting or producing the same signal levels. For example you would not reasonably make a simple switch to chose turntable phono cartridge and tape deck on the same line, they are at vatly different levels.

Most stuff in hifi is stereo, so will you want two 1 to 10 switches in your box? Or do you really mean 10 in and 1 out?

Passive or active, the signal leads need to be shielded, so it ought to be made in a metal box. You can easily put a wooden outer shell over a metal box for appearance.

I don't know who your preferred suppliers are there, in the USA I start with MOuser or Digikey. Just enter rotary switches in the search, and when you get to those, select 10 positions and go from there. Some are plain 10 position switches, there are others which can be set up for 2 to 10 stops when you get them. Some are cheap, some are expensive.

Some examples:
56SD36-01-1-AJN Grayhill | Mouser

SR2512F-0110-19R0B-E9-N-W-159 Alpha (Taiwan) | Mouser

A11015RNCQ C&K Components | Mouser

OK, so everything is line level.

Not sure I get your math. Stereo, left and right, means two jacks per deck, plus two more for output. So 20 jacks for decks, plus 2 for output.

If you intend another set for return, then 22 more. So 44.

Your switch gets more complicated. For send or return you now need two poles times ten throws. So my examples don't work, but when searching at suppliers enter 2 pole in the search grid.

You would need two of those switches, one to select source, and one to select return.

Or if you always want send and return to match, then you need a 4 pole by 10 switch.

71A36-04A10N Grayhill | Mouser

Personally I'd make this project an active circuit, a ten channel stereo splitter/mixer.

I even have an 8 channel stereo splitter/mixer in my collection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.