Build a high-end CAT cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Plus 1 on that one.

Saw some banter on another site claiming Cat7 improves sound connecting NAS / router / music server. Makes no sense.

Bought cheapest Cat7 from Amazon and replaced my old Cat5. For me, a clear sound improvement. I refuse to speculate why, discuss merits of double blind test or why my ears are lying. I agree with all of it. If curious, spring for $10 and try it. If offended, I apologise... assume I am nuts.

Yep. there was some sort of problem with that old Cat5 cable.

Perhaps that it wasn't a Cat7 :)

I have used several different Cat5 that were in the old cable box. Worked fine in their original network cable application at the office. The new Cat7 ones were better for making sound happen at home. I wonder if the new level of shielding keeps some level of interference out of the system that degrades the sound?

At any rate, I realize this is off topic. The OP just wanted to know how to build his own cables. I agree with other comments that getting the spec correct would make this a challenging build and suggest you try Cat7 before going to a bunch of expense. If you do build your own with good outcome that exceed Cat7, then definitely share your experience and build experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.