Table box of a wine barrel of 225Liter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am quit new to the whole speaker making so my knowledges of creating a working system is a problem. The wood working and all other stuff is not a problem.
So i need help, i want to create a 3-way system, with on each round side ( when the barrel is laying down) 1 subwoofer 1 mid and 1 tweeter, so a basic system. but than on each side. how do i start? what do i use, best speakers? (price is not really a problem but not to expensive) Which electrical circuit do i make, power source,... basiclly starting from 0.

So please someone who can help me.

Big thanks

Pieter annys

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> basiclly starting from 0.

In your situation, start from "2". Buy a stereo pair of 3-way (why 3-way?) speakers with each box about 112 (90-140) liter volume. Transfer all the stuff to the barrel. Speakers, any caps or coils, all the wiring (if you must cut wires, be sure to get then back correctly), any port tubes, and the connector. Take all/any fuzz/fluff/foam out of the cabinets and put it in the barrel.

You can spend a lifetime mixing and matching components. I have, and am never totally happy. Or you can buy a pre-picked set of components, maybe MUCH cheaper than the individual components (mass production and marketing), which are pretty-sure to be pretty-OK, and have a party with little fuss or brain-pain.

There are special problems here. The end of a nearly cylindrical enclosure is not like a box acoustically. It is likely to be smaller than the face of a similar box, so the dispersion/throw will be different. Also the sound goes out the ends, while we normally set boxes to face the listener. Also putting both woofers in one enclosure is "interesting" in the rare case that bass is not the same in both sides. I don't think anybody knows the "best" answers for these questions. I do not think any of them will "ruin" the sound. And the idea of a wine speaker barrel is too much fun.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

funny enough I just wanted to post a similar question: for one of my favourite hang outs, I want to convert a ~450l barrel, standing upright, into an active bass bin, i.e, say, 40 - 180Hz. Speakers would be 4# Visaton w250-8, but I'm open for suggestions.

What PRR said, as he nailed the question: to be or not to be ?!
I don't think anybody knows the "best" answers for these questions. I do not think any of them will "ruin" the sound. And the idea of a wine speaker barrel is too much fun.
Well, the speaker should be positioned on the curved side so a solid adaptor for each size & diameter should be made.
The barrels would be then well spaced by ropes or better rubberbands and hung from the ceiling, the tweeter being at ear level. WMT or WTM or better MTW on axys or concave projectioning.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> ~450l barrel.... Speakers would be 4# Visaton w250-8

Link would be helpful.

W 250 - 8 Ohm

Recommended volumes run 30-70l. 112l/speaker is quite large. You can extend a vent-box design to quite large sizes-- not space-efficient, and with this driver it aint gonna go much below 40Hz, but here it does not matter.

And can you fit four Tens in the ends of a 450l (119 gallons!) barrel? Oh, OK. (Again, link?)
https://artisanbarrels.com/mainpage.html?products/tr-puncheon_450

Heads are 28" diameter so two Tens fit each end. Probably not 3.

> speaker should be positioned on the curved side so a solid adaptor

That's a silly lot of extra work.

If you can pop the front off a box speaker, and have the tools to set it neatly in the side of a 3-D curve barrel, without the barrel coming apart, I guess you could.

I am quit new to the whole speaker making so my knowledges of creating a working system is a problem. The wood working and all other stuff is not a problem.
Usually medium/high density fiberboard MDF is used, because it is not wood!
Wood is no good for making enclosures, well, enclosures are no good for
enclosing the backwave of a speaker. Putting all the speakers in the same structure containing them, it's no good.
Sound is a matter of mechanics

> ~450l barrel.... Speakers would be 4# Visaton w250-8

Link would be helpful. Sorry!

W 250 - 8 Ohm

Recommended volumes run 30-70l. 112l/speaker is quite large. You can extend a vent-box design to quite large sizes-- not space-efficient, and with this driver it aint gonna go much below 40Hz, but here it does not matter.

And can you fit four Tens in the ends of a 450l (119 gallons!) barrel? Oh, OK. (Again, link?) I keep forgetting that metric dimensions are not international...
https://artisanbarrels.com/mainpage.html?products/tr-puncheon_450

Heads are 28" diameter so two Tens fit each end. Probably not 3. I don't want to fit them into the heads, for the simple reason that this barrel is standing on one of it's head and is used as a bar table

> speaker should be positioned on the curved side so a solid adaptor

That's a silly lot of extra work.

If you can pop the front off a box speaker, and have the tools to set it neatly in the side of a 3-D curve barrel, without the barrel coming apart, I guess you could.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.