How to mount transistors to heat sink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use the glue as the air excluding medium for pre-glued hard insulators.
The unglued side needs thermal goop, again to exclude any/all air from the interface.

After a few hours of testing you will usually see that some of the glue has migrated to the edge, because it has flowed under the pressure created by the clamping. This helps to reduce the thickness of the heat insulating effect of the glue. It also helps remove any last hint of air trapped with the glue.

Last edited:
OK, this is all a bit more complicated than I thought.

Mica pads for TO-247 are hard to come by in Ireland. I can easily get Silpads and Aluminium Oxide.

The Silpads are a bit more coin, but I presume I don't need grease with them?

Thanks again for all the help.

I prefer the gray silicon gum, pretty good isolation (over 500V) and good thermal transfer. Usually with grease in both sides. Also try the gray boxes that cover all the transistor, available for TO220 and TO247/TO3P.

Attachments

• Q.GIF
    Q.GIF
    45.4 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
make sure you counter sink the holes on your heat sink.

attachment.php

also, polish the surface since extruded Aluminium surface is far from even..
attachment.php

finally, in my case i've made use of Copper spreader which bolted onto the heat-sink. and transistor is placed over it pressed down by Aluminium plate.

heatsink +
thermal paste+
Copper Spreader+
thermal paste+
Kapton tape+
thermal paste+
transistor

this set up has been working fine for me for past few months.
attachment.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.