Diy kimber interconnect - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2017, 01:10 PM   #1
dka is offline dka  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Diy kimber interconnect

Hi, have some spare kimber kable 8tc. Would like to construct diy interconnect with rca connectors. Wondering what is best geometry to use?
3 wire braid (2 ground, 1 hot), 4 wire braid (2 ground, 2 hot), twisted pair?
System is already a bit lean, so want to preserve bass and mid range sonics. Any suggestions? thanks in advance
Old 28th May 2017, 01:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, twisted pair is better at reducing interference than braid
Old 28th May 2017, 01:36 PM   #3
dka is offline dka  Australia
diyAudio Member

If i use twisted configuration, should i use 2 or 4 cores for each run? Any advantage of one over the other?
Old 28th May 2017, 01:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There appears to be no scientific evidence to back the claims from this type of cable up except that the larger the overall diameter of the copper conductor, the lower the resistance of the cable so therefore the less losses to 'adjust' the sound. Copper is a better conductor of electricity than gold or silver so better as a cable and connector.
So, aesthetics aside, using household solid 4mm cable is no worse than the 4tc as advertised.
Old 28th May 2017, 01:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dka View Post
If i use twisted configuration, should i use 2 or 4 cores for each run? Any advantage of one over the other?
4 cores would give less resistance, higher capacitance and better interference immunity. The best thing would be to then put a screen around it and have a "star quad" cable though in an unbalanced circuit it wouldn't have any major advantage over coax
Old 28th May 2017, 03:08 PM   #6
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

JonS
If you look up lowest resistivity of metals you will see Silver is first followed by copper then gold and aluminium forth and on up.

Regards
David
Old 28th May 2017, 07:30 PM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Assuming RCA connectors mean an unbalanced connection then the best option is coax. Unless the cable is very long, bass and mid-range will be treated exactly the same; treble will depend on capacitance, which depends on length and exact geometry.

Twisted pair is for balanced connections. If one end (source or load) is isolated (i.e. floating) then you could try a pseudo-balanced connection (as used for phono cartridges).
Old 28th May 2017, 08:42 PM   #8
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Hi, twisted pair is better at reducing interference than braid
Is there any evidence to back up this statement?
I always understood that weaving cables could reduce RF pick-up.
I am interested as I almost always weave my cables into a braid.
It also very convenient as the leads stay in one piece and don't need fixing together to stop them separating.
Old 28th May 2017, 09:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Twisting means the inductive coupling is reversed at each turn and largely cancels. If you look at the usual three wire braid it's like a plait, the wires don't rotate around each other and so there isn't the same cancellation
Old 29th May 2017, 02:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dka View Post
Hi, have some spare kimber kable 8tc. Would like to construct diy interconnect with rca connectors. Wondering what is best geometry to use?
3 wire braid (2 ground, 1 hot), 4 wire braid (2 ground, 2 hot), twisted pair?
System is already a bit lean, so want to preserve bass and mid range sonics. Any suggestions? thanks in advance
Given that 8TC is perfectly braided 4+ and 4- wire, why not just connect the rca to that. While that's a bit of an overkill, you do not have to unbraid and then try to rebraid the wire.
But if you are going to go the rebraid route, then I'd say either of your ideas would work perfectly well. The 3 braid of course being in the classic Kimber Kable style of PBJ and others.

Hide this!Advertise here!